Any vintage Longines collectors?
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Any vintage Longines collectors?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Any vintage Longines collectors?

Hi everyone!

Just about a month ago or so i purchased my first vintage Longines tank watch in solid gold which runs on the cal 9LT and some of you might have seen my thread about it. After that purchase i became very interested in vintage Longines and i decided to start focusing kn vintage Longines and thus i recently bought another cal 10L. Are there any seasoned Longines collectors out there who can give me some advice for a newbie just starting out with the brand? (Hoping to collect about 50 longines till the end if next year and you guys can be expecting a lot more posts from me)

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk
    James A and jimmyjay like this.

Re: Any vintage Longines collectors?

I am a big fan of vintage Longines, and own quite a few. In terms of advice, you'd need to narrow the field a bit. What era and/or models are of interest to you? Etc.

As you sound passionate, though, you might find this article that I wrote on a vintage chronometre to be of interest:

http://home.watchprosite.com/show-fo...s-chronometre/

Regards,

Tony C.
    busmatt and Horological_Dino like this.

Yes. Big Longines fan. In the 50s' and early 60s some models rivaled or exceeded rolex and the Conquest definitley rivaled the Omega Constellation in times of build, quality and accuracy (even though longings did not subject many conquests to C.O.S.C. certs. I also have a particular fondness for early-'67 '68 hi-beat 36k Ultachrons. Also most not cosc certified (except a few that were and have gold rotors to boot!) But they were advertised at their intro as "the most accurate watch made" And they were {are.. extremely;y accurate but of course-by '67 the writing was on the wall and the quartz wave was coming and ultrachron was not destined to be a huge hit. However-my father-in-law (d.) was wavy enough to by an 18k model in 1967 which I am lucky enough to have until I pass it down to his grand-daughter (my stepdaugter) I am always on the look out for a decent SS ultrachron which can still be found and not too outrageous prices but they are rising across the board. I also was thinkning very hard about buying a beautiful Conquest Sonic Electronic which turned out to be a rather scarce Longines tuning fork. Had a gorgeous blue dial and its own enameled back case medallion. A little sorry I let it pass but have a minty Zodiac Aerospace GMT instead. Here are the few pics I could find:

Ultra's:

And..as much as I like my ultrachrons my favorite Longines is this '61 Conquest for its class, build quality, accuracy and mostly its simplicity and elegance,. Every bit the equal of a '60s Datejust (which I have as well)

Horological_Dino, Wibbs and Shum like this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    I am a big fan of vintage Longines, and own quite a few. In terms of advice, you'd need to narrow the field a bit. What era and/or models are of interest to you? Etc.

As you sound passionate, though, you might find this article that I wrote on a vintage chronometre to be of interest:

http://home.watchprosite.com/show-fo...s-chronometre/

Regards,

Tony C.
    Wow Tony thanks for the article. It was very informative and just deepened my appreciation for the brand further. I am currently looking at post ww2 pieces all the way up to approximately 1980. I currently own about 3 vintage Longines all in Tank style (i just happen to like them) but i have been very interested in the Ultrachrons and their early automatic calibres such as the 22A.

Regards,
    H_D

Last edited by Horological_Dino; August 3rd, 2015 at 09:57.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    Yes. Big Longines fan. In the 50s' and early 60s some models rivaled or exceeded rolex and the Conquest definitley rivaled the Omega Constellation in times of build, quality and accuracy (even though longings did not subject many conquests to C.O.S.C. certs. I also have a particular fondness for early-'67 '68 hi-beat 36k Ultachrons. Also most not cosc certified (except a few that were and have gold rotors to boot!) But they were advertised at their intro as "the most accurate watch made" And they were {are.. extremely;y accurate but of course-by '67 the writing was on the wall and the quartz wave was coming and ultrachron was not destined to be a huge hit. However-my father-in-law (d.) was wavy enough to by an 18k model in 1967 which I am lucky enough to have until I pass it down to his grand-daughter (my stepdaugter) I am always on the look out for a decent SS ultrachron which can still be found and not too outrageous prices but they are rising across the board. I also was thinkning very hard about buying a beautiful Conquest Sonic Electronic which turned out to be a rather scarce Longines tuning fork. Had a gorgeous blue dial and its own enameled back case medallion. A little sorry I let it pass but have a minty Zodiac Aerospace GMT instead. Here are the few pics I could find:

Ultra's:

And..as much as I like my ultrachrons my favorite Longines is this '61 Conquest for its class, build quality, accuracy and mostly its simplicity and elegance,. Every bit the equal of a '60s Datejust (which I have as well)

I have also been looking for a hi beat Ultrachron as well in SS but most of them seem to have outrageous prices. :(
    I have also been looking to buy the tuning fork Longines Ultronic which i believe were produced mostly during the 70s.
    Just a question: do all Longines Conquest have the gold medallion at the back? And what are some of the things i should be looking out for when im purchasing the Conquest line?

Regards,
    H_D

Watchbreath likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Horological_Dino View Post
    Wow Tony thanks for the article. It was very informative and just deepened my appreciation for the brand further. I am currently looking at post ww2 pieces all the way up to approximately 1980. I currently own about 3 vintage Longines all in Tank style (i just happen to like them) but i have been very interested in the Ultrachrons and their early automatic calibres such as the 22A.

Regards,
    H_D

For me Longines is all about their Chronographs. However, prepare to dig DEEP (into your pockets
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GhentWatch View Post
    For me Longines is all about their Chronographs. However, prepare to dig DEEP (into your pockets
    The chronographs indeed are very beautiful but at this stage where im still inexperienced with the brand i guess im not ready to spend the money yet... But someday i would

Regards,
    H_D

My three. . the subdial is re cased. ..

See here...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/lon...d-1073434.html

Also I have West End watch with Longines movement...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f405/lo...on-918754.html

Cheers
    Horological_Dino, Wibbs and Shum like this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Hi H_D,

The early automatics are quite nice. Here's an example of a pre-All Guard (which was in turn a pre-Conquest):

As I recall, 'ulackfocus' is, but is gone.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information