anybody ever hear of benrus ?

Thread: anybody ever hear of benrus ?

Angry anybody ever hear of benrus ?

bought a watch at a garage sale for 2.00, don't know much about it but it looks nice. it is a dive watch white face with 3 round digital windows, 1 rectangular window, and an am/pm window also digital. the digital aspect of the watch does not work.the watch is analog with a moveable black bezel. watch says japan mvmnt on back.
    on back it reads 100ft water resist , bnw25422w
    also what appears to be lightning bolt with #sa626sw
    been trying to download picture, having tons of trouble
    thanks for the help

Ozy

Re: anybody ever hear of benrus ?

Hi,
    no idea without looking at it - here's a start
    http://www.pensandwatches.com/dials/...ch_company.htm

At some point in the 1970s they switched to Seiko movements that were made in Japan.

Banned

Benrus was a family owned company into the 60's until they went under (1968?) and the name was bought. The brand name is actually the name of the original owner: Benjamin Lazrus. They used Swiss parts but were assembled in the US.

EDIT: I think the link above give you most of what you need.

Here's one I used to own. Every thread needs pictures, right?

Last edited by ulackfocus; April 1st, 2010 at 04:47.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For a second I confused them with Benarus watches.
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

Benrus was founded in the 1920s and by 1950 had become the second largest watch company in the USA. At that time they tried unsuccessfully to buy out Hamilton. It's too bad that they didn't succeed, or both companies might have survived. The company stayed under family ownership until the 1970s, when it passed through several owners, including for a short time a firm in Pfzorheim, Germany, so that you can even find some German made Benrus watches. In the late 1970s it passed into the hands of the Wein family,m who still own and operate Hampden Watch Company as well as a successful diamond business. At the beginning of the 1990s, the Wein family sold it to Gruen, who went bankrupt a year later.The Benrus name then lay dormant for close to 15 years. The Benrus name has been recently bought by a Hong Kong firm.

The number by the lighting bolt would be the type of battery: sr626sw. More than likely your watch needs a new battery. Hope this helps! BTW, welcome to the forum

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear in regard to your technical/repair question, but, you did at least if anyone had heard of Benrus.

I'm always shocked at the watch community having passed over Benrus

At one time, Benrus was the THIRD largest watch company during their hayday of the early 1950's. They made some cool watches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benrus

I have the exact model you described. I bought mine new at a Wal-mart store about 10 years ago for about 50-60 dollars. My watch is doing the exact same thing yours is doing and I read on another website that this watch has two batteries (one for the digital display and one for the analog movement). Take it to a jewelry repair place and have them replace the second battery. Apparently, some of the workings must be removed to access the second battery. I hope this helps.

P.S. If you have a copy of the instructions, could you post them? I lost mine and can't seem to be able to reset the alarm.

Not too long ago I picked up a Benrus with a Hamazawa automatic movement.
    Runs great. I'll have to get some pics up to show it off.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.