Anyone collect vintage watches with inscriptions?

Thread: Anyone collect vintage watches with inscriptions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone collect vintage watches with inscriptions?

I am new to vintage watches. I've seen some vintage watches for sale with various inscriptions from Christmas, anniversaries, graduations, years of service with a company, etc. I find these watches quite touching since to me, anyway, they have some special meaning since they were given with love or as a recognition of accomplishment.

Do folks collect inscribed watches? Do the inscriptions add or detract from the value of a vintage watch? Or, am I just sentimental? lol

Seriously, if there is an organization or interest group of folks who collect watches with inscriptions please let me know. I really do find them interesting. Best regards, Scott.

Re: Anyone collect vintage watches with inscriptions?

Hi. Some people collect watches with the inscriptions of famous people - and may concentrate on a particular topic, such as sports. On the whole, though, most collectors prefer uninscribed pieces.

see this poll and thread.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ight=inscribed

Personally, I don't mind them. They're part of the history of the watch and can add a little interest.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by harlo1 View Post
    I am new to vintage watches. I've seen some vintage watches for sale with various inscriptions from Christmas, anniversaries, graduations, years of service with a company, etc. I find these watches quite touching since to me, anyway, they have some special meaning since they were given with love or as a recognition of accomplishment.

Do folks collect inscribed watches? Do the inscriptions add or detract from the value of a vintage watch? Or, am I just sentimental? lol

Seriously, if there is an organization or interest group of folks who collect watches with inscriptions please let me know. I really do find them interesting. Best regards, Scott.
    Some people want vintage watches without inscriptions.

Some people don't mind them.

Likely a few people desire them. There is at least one person on one of the forums, who researches them (I think it was on the vintage forum at timezone)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

Most of the vintage Hamiltons I've been collecting have been dedication watches for decades of service to various companies. Hard to avoid in some types (10k cased Hamilton with 770 movements), it helps when a date is engraved to date the watch!

Besides, these watches were generally rather high quality, as giving someone who worked for you a cheap watch at retirement would be rather insulting... It's a nice tradition that has almost completely disappeared.

The oldest inscripted watch I have is from 1938, a Gruen that was a bowling trophy. I was able to find out exactly who won it and why, which will be the topic of a post someday...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I don't go out of my way to do it, but I have a couple. the watches are cool, vintage Hamiltons. they're in LNIB condition because the original owners didn't wear them, but kept them in boxes to show off their awards for service, etc. I've seen several like this. they run like factory new after routine COA.

I have picked up a few as well. As noted, the "award" watches I have picked up tend to have stayed in the box and are in great shape. The family "gift" watches with inscriptions tend to have some mileage on them, so I don't bite unless they are in great shape.

Totally preferred by me and I believe in general for well done inscriptions, as indicated in preceding, except if you want to add your own.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by harlo1 View Post

I've found some old pocket watches from the 1920's and 1930's with truly beautiful engraved initials.

Apparently William did not want his wife to have his father's watch. Replacement's unused condition indicates she did not like it very much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; January 26th, 2010 at 15:06. Reason: add

Ontario's South Coast - Norfolk County - Canada

One I picked up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information