Anyone ever hear of Sherco?

Thread: Anyone ever hear of Sherco?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone ever hear of Sherco?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just won an auction on the 'bay for a watch from a company called Sherco.
    The face is signed Sherco with either "Thelomatique" or "Shelomatique" (script makes it hard to determine) above the 6. Just from style, I'd guess it's a 60s/70s piece.

The movement is a 17 jewel Bidynator that appears to be signed Wakmann Watch Co.

A Google search for Sherco pulls up Associated Diamond Brokers in Philly, which used Sherco as a name. So maybe it's a former in house brand name with import movement. But thinking there's someone here who might know more history on the piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Anyone ever hear of Sherco?

Just a gut feeling, but I suspect that's a creative reuse of the movement.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Does it say Wakkman on the rotor?
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From the picture it seems to say Wakmann underneath Bidynator. I haven't received the watch yet to confirm. And movement and face seem to match somewhat in hue, so makes me lean towards idea that it could be "original" for this piece.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJohnP View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just won an auction on the 'bay for a watch from a company called Sherco.
    The face is signed Sherco with either "Thelomatique" or "Shelomatique" (script makes it hard to determine) above the 6. Just from style, I'd guess it's a 60s/70s piece.

The movement is a 17 jewel Bidynator that appears to be signed Wakmann Watch Co.

A Google search for Sherco pulls up Associated Diamond Brokers in Philly, which used Sherco as a name. So maybe it's a former in house brand name with import movement. But thinking there's someone here who might know more history on the piece.
    So I followed up and emailed Associated Diamond Brokers, which used to go by Sherco to see if they knew any history of the watch and this was their reply:

"Sherco Watch Co. was started in 1946. By a gentleman named Irving Sherman. They contracted with other companies for all their watch parts. Most of the cases & dials were manufactured in the US, & most of the movements were 17 jewel Swiss.They were shipped here to Sansom St. where they were assembled under the Sherco Watch Co. name. The company name was later changed to Associated Diamond Brokers, where they diversified more into the wholesale jewelry business. My father Leonard Levin worked with Mr. Sherman from the beginning. In 1977 my father & I purchased the business from Mr. Sherman. Concerning the watch you purchased, I would say it is circa late 1950's to mid 60's. The Wakman movement was one of the manufacturers they bought movements from.
    Hope this helps you out. Good luck with your watch.
    Sincerely,
    Alan Levin"

So it appears that the Sherco I picked up did originally come with an authentic Wakmann movement. Figured other collector's on this forum might find this info about Sherco interesting. FYI!

Interesting watch and if you clean it-it will be

igorfiume

Well done for going to the trouble of contacting the Company.

And what a nice man Mr Levin is for bothering to reply to you - a lot of companies would not take the time. I've not seen a watch quite like that - very nice and interesting.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Well done for going to the trouble of contacting the Company.

And what a nice man Mr Levin is for bothering to reply to you - a lot of companies would not take the time. I've not seen a watch quite like that - very nice and interesting.
    I think the fact that it happens to be a family run "mom & pop" business is probably the only reason I got such an informative response. I bet if it was some faceless corporation or a business that has changed hands repeatedly, I doubt I would've gotten any kind of feedback.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

The Swiss companies are pretty good are responding; Longines in particular has an excellent turnaround on serial number requests.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

"Bidynator" is usually associated with movements made by Felsa. Horologically important as these movements first made in the 1940s were the first automatic movements that wound in both directions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information