Anyone familiar with vintage Soren Melgaard watches?

Thread: Anyone familiar with vintage Soren Melgaard watches?

Anyone familiar with vintage Soren Melgaard watches?

First off I would like to say hi everyone as I am a new member. Just a few months ago I got a sudden interest in mechanical watches when my mom gave me my great grandfather's pocket watch. Since I've spent my fair share of hours lurking here on WUS and bought my first mechanical, a Seiko 5 SNKL23.

As for my great grandfather's watch, I don't know much about it besides that it was probably bought in the 1900-1920 range and was very important to him. He was a farmer of relative meager means so I'm sure it must have been important to him and my grandfather also used it for many years. It has since been with my mother who decided to give it to me recently. I'm very excited to have such a great watch as an heirloom and will look into getting it serviced once I finish school as I understand it could get pretty expensive. It still winds and runs fairly accurately to within a few minutes a day, even though it probably hasn't been serviced since the 60's or 70's. As a side note would anyone have a ballpark idea of what it would cost to get serviced assuming it didn't need any new parts?

I was mainly wondering if anyone here knew anything about Soren Melgaard or his watches? The watch is originally from Denmark, specifically Skive, close to where my mom grew up. There has been a jewelry store in Skive called 'Soren Melgaard' (a fairly common name for those not familiar with Danish) for probably well over a century now that I think was started by the first Soren Melgaard. I presume he was a watchmaker as well and probably assembled the watch using an outsourced movement but I don't know. As my parents moved to NY and that's where I currently live I probably won't be back in Skive to check with the store for a while and I can't find any contact info for them to ask. Anyways its probably a shot in the dark but I was hoping you guys might have any info on the watch? I'm very curious and it would greatly be appreciated :) Thanks, en914

Name:  z9l8.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  232.7 KB

Name:  9ql3.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  196.9 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Anyone familiar with vintage Soren Melgaard watches?

Welcome to the Vintage forum. Your pocket watch seems to be from the turn of the 19th (to 20th) century since it is obviously pin set. For a more complete assessment, we would need to see the inside. Sorry, I have never heard of Soren Meelgard but again, the insides would tell us more.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to the Vintage forum. Your pocket watch seems to be from the turn of the 19th (to 20th) century since it is obviously pin set. For a more complete assessment, we would need to see the inside. Sorry, I have never heard of Soren Meelgard but again, the insides would tell us more.

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks Hartmut! I actually didn't know that it was called pin set or that indicated it might on the older side. It could be from before I thought circa 1880 or on but I don't know for sure. I'll have to look into getting it to a watch maker. How risky would it be to open it without proper tools? I'm fairly handy but don't want to do any damage

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

It should not be risky at all. If you look at the photo of the back you can see at the bottom is a hinge. At the top left is the pin set and on the top right is a raised section. You can open the back here by levering it gently. A thumbnail might work but its likely stiff so you might need a blunt butter knife or similar. Be careful and work slowly because if you slip you will end up with a scratch. Press in more than try to twist. It's much easier then I'm making it sound. Inside will probably be another cover that you open the same way. The notch to open it will be smaller but in roughly the same place. There will often be some scratches there too from precious openings.

Hi and welcome
    What does it say under the name? I can not read it?
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Name:  580706_110495049132423_585173714_n.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  34.6 KB
    søren melgaard Frederiksgade, Skive, Denmark

largest and oldest jewelry always on :Melgaards Eftf.
    sorry but I do not find anything else
    regards enrico

Cool enrico.
    Bet it says 'skive' under the name.

Mirius - thanks for the info I will give it a try later today or tomorrow when I have some more time, I'm really curious to see the movement. From the sound of it, its a very low beat like 7200 or so but its hard to tell.

Horologist - yeah it does say 'Skive' on the dial, I have another pic since the first one wasn't that clear

Enrico - Thanks for the help! That's the place I remember being there once or twice as a kid. I'll send them an email and see if they could tell me more.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm glad I joined WUS!

Name:  7q1b.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  178.2 KB

Thread Information