Anyone Have Time for a Tweenie ?

Thread: Anyone Have Time for a Tweenie ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone Have Time for a Tweenie ?

Here is an interesting and rather rare old advertising watch.
    Tweenies were small cigars just big enough to smoke in the intermission in the theatres. The most famous brand was 'Between the Acts' but Tweenies I think were probably made in New York perhaps by the 'Black & White' people.
    This dark chrome or nickel cased watch in its nice blued steel holder was I believe used by a WW1 soldier as a portable clock. It could be an Ingersoll but all it says is Made in the USA and 5 patent dates the first being Jan29,01 and the last being May 24,10
    The serial no. on the movement is 28312107.The watch is 50mm diameter and the crown pushes in to adjust. The dial is paper faced.
    It still ticks like the proverbial 'Dollar Watch' that it is and keeps good time.
    I am anxious to find out anything more definite about this curio.

If anyone wants to see full size pictures I can add the main photobucket url
    Thanks
    Dave in Scotland

Re: Anyone Have Time for a Tweenie ?

Thanks for your interesting post! I've never heard of these really old advertising watches, which brands/products were most common ones to be advertised this way? Are there any examples of this phenomenon (about the same age) from other countries as well?
    Last edited by Mars Mountain; October 11th, 2008 at 18:49.

Somewhere in the attic I have another British watch from the 1930s which promotes William Younger's Beer and the legend on the dial says ...
    'You can get a little Younger everyday' over the Younger man logo.

I believe that most of the mass producers had a contracting division that produced advertising and event memorabilia for companies and events all over the globe.
    I remember my father having watches from the Glasgow Empire Exhibition and The Festival of Britain and he always promised me a Mickey Mouse watch which I never received! These watches are all examples of the contracting industry.
    It would be interesting to know who else has examples and what or where they represent.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

All I can say is that the movement definitely looks like the first stem-wind Ingersoll Yankee, made from about 1897ish until ????

I too thought Ingersoll.
    Is there an record of the ingersoll patents or serials accessible that may allow me to cross ref and identify?
    here is a picture of the Tweenie Box which confirms my other belief that these watches were made for the Black and White manufacturers which in Britain were 'Marcovitch'.
    Last edited by Aislingean; October 14th, 2008 at 14:24.

Dave,
    Your watch is absolutely an Ingersoll and by the serial# it was mfg. between 1910-1911. There is a serial # list in Col. George Townsends book, "The Watch that Made the Dollar Famous the Encyclopedia of Dollar Watches" copywright 1974. I am a collecter of $ Watches and have never seen or heard of this watch. It is a beauty and quite rare I believe. Check my recent posts for some pictures of other Ingersolls. Hope that helps.
    Ingersoll did make a # of different advertising watches from 1896- 1944. many of which I hope to post photos of in the future.

Rob 31
    Last edited by Rob31; October 26th, 2008 at 19:34.

Here are a few late 1890's early 1900's Ingersoll Advertising watches.

Rob31 NAWCC Ch. 106,149
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Rob31; October 24th, 2008 at 09:09.

Thanks for posting and I hope you'll stick around as we are looking for a dollar watch expert to help with ID.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Nice collecton! Some look to be in darn good condition. And having 'paperwork' adds to the interest. (Most folks probably don't remember Rexall...)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

:thanks Yes Ray,
    I'll be around to help out on any dollar Watch questions. They are truly my passion.
    eeb... Ah yes Rexall, I also have a later model and having the paperwork sure does add to the history of any piece I do have an extensive ephemera collection and will post some of it in the future. Today we only see Walgreens and CVS in the US, but back in the day it surely was Rexall!
    Rob 31

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information