Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

Thread: Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    13

    Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

    Hi everyone, I'm just getting into watches and I asked my mom if we had any watches laying around, she showed me some and now I'm wondering if they're genuine. They're all vintage, the ones that stood out were Jaeger LeCoultre and Baume & Mercier Geneve. These are the pictures:

    Jaeger LeCoultre: It says on the dial Jaeger Lecoultre and Swiss Made on the bottom. The back says 6038.42. I think it's genuine but can't figure out what model/calibre.
    Name:  dwGrRsS.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  90.5 KB

    Name:  VAzJYZ4.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  92.1 KB

    Baume & Mercier Geneve:
    This one looks like a luxury watch, I really like the looks of this one, would wear it myself actually. On the dial it says Baume & Mercier Geneve and on the bottom again Swiss Made. On the back it says : Stainless Steel Back - Waterproof - Incabloc - Swiss Made.

    Name:  ldJsnDD.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  88.7 KBName:  wt2SExX.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  88.7 KBName:  WjPrNLJ.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  95.2 KB

    That was it, there are 2 more but the brands are Fludo and Select, I can post pictures if anyone's interested but these are the ones that appealed to me the most. I'm wondering if they're genuine and what price tag is attached if I get them fixed.

    Thanks in advance,

    Have a nice day!

  2. #2
    Member Horological_Dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    452

    Re: Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

    Nice watches.
    I have little knowledge on these 2 watches but what i can tell you is that despite Modern Jaeger Lecoultre and Baume et Mercier carrying high price tags, vintage watches go for considerably less than what many think.

    Also if you want to determine the authenticity of the watches try getting the casebacks open and take pictures of the movements. The experts in this forum wiuld be then able to help you in much greater detail.

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Member Tony C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,449

    Re: Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

    Probably both genuine, but neither have much value. The JLC is a woman's model, and the market for such models is very soft. Having said, the manufacturer is excellent, and many of their vintage models are sought after and valuable.

    Baume and Mercier tries to give the impression of high-class, and, as your reaction suggests, succeed at times. The truth is that they have never been a high-class manufacturer, and the model that you show, being a mixed case and in less than desirable condition, has very modest value.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UTC
    Posts
    2,431

    Re: Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

    If all you're trying to do is to sell them on, then I'd suggest that getting them serviced would add little to their resale value. People buying such watches on eBay would assume that they would need to be serviced, regardless of what you say (as I assume you are not a dealer, unable to offer a service warranty and so on).

    As to values, eBay is once again the place to go - look under the filter 'completed listings' which will allow you to see what similar watches sold for. As previous posts have suggested, they are modestly valued watches, regardless of their considerable brand names.

    If you're planning to keep them, that's a different story…

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    Probably both genuine, but neither have much value. The JLC is a woman's model, and the market for such models is very soft. Having said, the manufacturer is excellent, and many of their vintage models are sought after and valuable.

    Baume and Mercier tries to give the impression of high-class, and, as your reaction suggests, succeed at times. The truth is that they have never been a high-class manufacturer, and the model that you show, being a mixed case and in less than desirable condition, has very modest value.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    13

    Re: Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

    Searched on eBay, hard to find any similar watches though. Regards planning to keep them, my mom likes to hold onto them so I might get them serviced and gift the small one to my girlfriend and maybe wear the Baume & Mercier myself. I'm really into the vintage look.

    Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    If all you're trying to do is to sell them on, then I'd suggest that getting them serviced would add little to their resale value. People buying such watches on eBay would assume that they would need to be serviced, regardless of what you say (as I assume you are not a dealer, unable to offer a service warranty and so on).

    As to values, eBay is once again the place to go - look under the filter 'completed listings' which will allow you to see what similar watches sold for. As previous posts have suggested, they are modestly valued watches, regardless of their considerable brand names.

    If you're planning to keep them, that's a different story…

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    13

    Re: Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

    When you say modest value, are we talking around $100 or significant less? I've tried finding a listing on eBay but the price tags differentiate a lot and I can't find anything that matches these. I might go to a watchmaker and get them serviced, but if they're not worth anything ( $100 or less ) I'm not sure if it's worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    Probably both genuine, but neither have much value. The JLC is a woman's model, and the market for such models is very soft. Having said, the manufacturer is excellent, and many of their vintage models are sought after and valuable.

    Baume and Mercier tries to give the impression of high-class, and, as your reaction suggests, succeed at times. The truth is that they have never been a high-class manufacturer, and the model that you show, being a mixed case and in less than desirable condition, has very modest value.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    13

    Re: Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

    I tried but wasn't able to, I might just take it to a watchmaker after my exams and see what he says. If I can get some pictures of the movement then I'll post it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Horological_Dino View Post
    Nice watches.
    I have little knowledge on these 2 watches but what i can tell you is that despite Modern Jaeger Lecoultre and Baume et Mercier carrying high price tags, vintage watches go for considerably less than what many think.

    Also if you want to determine the authenticity of the watches try getting the casebacks open and take pictures of the movements. The experts in this forum wiuld be then able to help you in much greater detail.

    Cheers

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    584

    Re: Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

    The Baume&Mercier is definately the real deal. I've seen and serviced quite a bit if these. Most likely there is a Peseux or Buren movement under the hood. In this state it's in it's probably right along or slightly below the boundary you mentioned.
    I think it looks cool and very vintage. Have it serviced and a new crystal placed and enjoy wearing it.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    485

    Re: Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinosRich View Post
    When you say modest value, are we talking around $100 or significant less? I've tried finding a listing on eBay but the price tags differentiate a lot and I can't find anything that matches these. I might go to a watchmaker and get them serviced, but if they're not worth anything ( $100 or less ) I'm not sure if it's worth it.
    It's not really possible to give an accurate value from a few pictures as there are so many variables when it comes to valuing watches, and usually the price is just whatever someone is willing to pay on that day.
    But really I wouldn't worry about the value when it comes to servicing. If you are planning to wear the watch then get it serviced, if you are not then don't bother. From a financial perspective, most vintage watches are not worth servicing, as the service costs a lot more than the value it adds to the watch. But I'm sure most of us are here because we love watches rather than looking to make a profit, so we tend to do it anyway.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    13

    Re: Anyone know if any of these are authentic?

    Fair enough! Thanks a lot, I'm definitely looking to get the Baume and Mercier serviced, I'd like to use it as a dress watch. But I was wondering about the value because I'm really interested in an Omega Seamaster Vintage Geneve. But I guess I just might buy that for my birthday.


    Quote Originally Posted by fixer29 View Post
    It's not really possible to give an accurate value from a few pictures as there are so many variables when it comes to valuing watches, and usually the price is just whatever someone is willing to pay on that day.
    But really I wouldn't worry about the value when it comes to servicing. If you are planning to wear the watch then get it serviced, if you are not then don't bother. From a financial perspective, most vintage watches are not worth servicing, as the service costs a lot more than the value it adds to the watch. But I'm sure most of us are here because we love watches rather than looking to make a profit, so we tend to do it anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Is this authentic?
      By selig33 in forum Hamilton
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: January 7th, 2015, 20:05
    2. Does this look authentic?
      By SublimeDecor in forum Officine Panerai
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: October 18th, 2012, 18:54
    3. Authentic ???
      By superior1 in forum Seiko
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: September 19th, 2012, 19:05
    4. Replies: 23
      Last Post: February 15th, 2011, 16:53
    5. Authentic PO or not?
      By anonymousmoose in forum Omega
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: December 24th, 2008, 00:53

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •