Anyone Know This Watch?????????

Thread: Anyone Know This Watch?????????

Anyone Know This Watch?????????

Hello All-

For starters I should let you know that I'm new to the Vintage Watch game.

My Uncle recently gave and old watch because of my new interest. He told me it cost him 2 months pay back in the mid-40s.

I don't know much about it other than how it looks.

I recently purchased an Omega Seamaster Cosmic from the 60's and a sharp Longines from the 50's.

I'd like to know more about this 40's watch. Wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject.

It's marked Philippe Watch Extra. And on the back it reads Swiss Made. \

My uncle was the original owner and all the parts are original. It's recently been serviced.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Anyone Know This Watch?????????

Hi -

First of all, welcome to the forums and WUS! Hope we can make your stay here comfortable and informative.

Second, we loooooooooooooooooooooove pictures, and you got started right. The problem is the most important picture - that of the movement - is missing. If you don't feel comfortable opening the watch up, then by all means don't do so. But given the literally hundreds of different watch calibres that might be inside, there is no way of knowing without popping the hood, so to speak.

The brand itself? Doesn't ring a bell. A large number of Swiss watch companies disappeared during the quartz crisis, never to be seen or heard from again, all makers of nice watches, but part of the creative destruction that leads to innovation and progress.

In other words, probably impossible to identify. Sad, but that is the way the industry developed....

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

John-

Thanks a million. You've helped me a great deal.

I don't really feel comfortable taking apart the watch myself, but I have a cousin that works as a jeweler. If I pop it open one day with him, maybe I'll snap a photograph.

Great to know there is a community of watch lovers out there to discuss these things with!

-Joe

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If your uncle recently gave it to you, it might be a good idea to get as much information from him as he can remember - where he bought the watch, why he chose the brand, what the jeweler said about it. All of these things can come in handy in a detective search, and you still have a link to the watch's past. Quite often we don't have that.
    Patek Philippe made an Extra pocket watch in the early 1900s and maybe this brand was trying to conjure up images of that.
    As JohnF has already posted, the movement will be our best chance of ID. I suspect he's right though - we may not be able to identify it much further.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks Ray. A lot of good suggestions.

My Uncle is well into his 70's right now, and he bought the watch around 50 years ago in Italy.

Plus, he has a terrible memory for almost everything.

I'll look into it further and like you said, the movement must be the key.

Thread Information