Anyone knows the history and variation behind Heuer Camaro?

Thread: Anyone knows the history and variation behind Heuer Camaro?

Anyone knows the history and variation behind Heuer Camaro?

Hello All

Today I was over at a friends house and he showed me his vintage Heuer Camaro watch. I got interested and did some digging after I came home and found that it was probably manufactured around 1965~70ish

I read from a few other threads about the various movements used. Valjoux 72, 92, 7730 etc. But I can not find out much more about the history and info on each variations of the watch

Anyone know anything about these vintages?
    Last edited by aratron; September 23rd, 2010 at 08:46.
    Rolex Explorer II, Rolex Sub 16610, Rolex Speedking, Omega Planet Ocean, Omega 1930s Deco, Breitling Avenger, Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic, PAM 111, Movado WWII Bumper, Gruen 1930s Tonneau, Poljot Mechanical Alarm Caliber 2612, & Chrono 3133, Tudor Prince Oysterdate, Debaufre GMT Ocean 2893-2, Movado Kingmatic, Sea-gull 1963 Re-issue, Marathon GSAR, Tissot T-Touch, Steinhart SAWLE, Sea-gull ST8000SK Skeleton, Seiko 7002, Parnis Portuguese ST25, Orient Worldtimer, Orient Retro Camera, Orient Mako, Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Airking, Vostok Amphibia, Tudor Submariner, Sea-gull M199S, Seagull ST5 Export, Bulova Accutron Spaceview 214, Omega Constellation Pie Pan, Beijing Galaxy GMT

Re: Anyone knows the history and variation behind Heuer Camaro?

Here is some info:

Vintage Heuer Camaro 7220S | Calibre 11

I love mine- lots of badly polished ones out there, so take care!
    Last edited by calibre 11; September 23rd, 2010 at 09:48.
    Calibre 11 | The Home of TAG Heuer and Heuer Collectors

http://www.calibre11.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/calibre11

David's (Calibre 11) site is a good reference. You might also try another member's website, onthedash.com... Jeff Stein has a lot of info on vintage Heuers.

You can also dig through past posts in the TAG Heuer forum.

Heuer became centered on chronographs and was the market leader in the 50's and 60's. Most of the names they gave them related to motorsports in some form. Wonderful watches that are still useful today!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you gentlemen.

I managed to look through the two sites but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be too much information about these camaros as opposed to the more sought after series of heuers made after 1972. Still highly appreciate all your assistance.
    Rolex Explorer II, Rolex Sub 16610, Rolex Speedking, Omega Planet Ocean, Omega 1930s Deco, Breitling Avenger, Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic, PAM 111, Movado WWII Bumper, Gruen 1930s Tonneau, Poljot Mechanical Alarm Caliber 2612, & Chrono 3133, Tudor Prince Oysterdate, Debaufre GMT Ocean 2893-2, Movado Kingmatic, Sea-gull 1963 Re-issue, Marathon GSAR, Tissot T-Touch, Steinhart SAWLE, Sea-gull ST8000SK Skeleton, Seiko 7002, Parnis Portuguese ST25, Orient Worldtimer, Orient Retro Camera, Orient Mako, Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Airking, Vostok Amphibia, Tudor Submariner, Sea-gull M199S, Seagull ST5 Export, Bulova Accutron Spaceview 214, Omega Constellation Pie Pan, Beijing Galaxy GMT

I also love the Camaro. On the site of 'On the Dash' you can find some nice old advertisements and catalogs where you can see different models of the Heuer Camaro.

It was introduced around 1968 as 'the newest shape from Switzerland'.

The cushion case style may originally go back as far as the 1930 's, but the Camaro was AFAIK one of the first "cushion case" watches in the late '60s.

The Camaro was only made in the period 1968-72. In the beginning with the old Valjoux calibers like Valjoux 72, but soon it was made with the then 'new' Valjoux movement like 7733 and 7734.

My personal favorite would be the brown dial Heuer Camaro with date (Valjoux 7734). (This dial is also a clean design without tachymeter). But they are all very nice.

The overall design of the Camaro is just perfect and the Valjoux handwound calibers that power them are very robust, reliable quality.
    Those were the days of Heuer at its best : they obviously had some of the best watch designers and they simply used the best quality movements on the market and used the best materials for their case and dials and so on.

It was often imitated as a chronograph by the competition but others never equalled the quality and design.

In more recent years Tag Heuer went a lot into re-editing the classics and here the Tag Heuer Monza could be considered as the reissue of the Heuer Camaro style.

Quote Originally Posted by aratron View Post
    Hello All

Today I was over at a friends house and he showed me his vintage Heuer Camaro watch. I got interested and did some digging after I came home and found that it was probably manufactured around 1965~70ish

I read from a few other threads about the various movements used. Valjoux 72, 92, 7730 etc. But I can not find out much more about the history and info on each variations of the watch

Anyone know anything about these vintages?
    Fine looking watch and I like the name. I'm not familiar with it, but the model name and decade make me thing it was tied to the introduction of the very popular Chevy Camaro. The sporty muscle car was introduced in 1966. Great name for a watch and a car.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Fine looking watch and I like the name. I'm not familiar with it, but the model name and decade make me thing it was tied to the introduction of the very popular Chevy Camaro. The sporty muscle car was introduced in 1966. Great name for a watch and a car.
    The Chevrolet Camaro was indeed introduced in Sept 66 for the 67 model year. When I read this my first thought was there was, no 66 Camaros, but I forgot too factor in fall introductions.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    The Chevrolet Camaro was indeed introduced in Sept 66 for the 67 model year. When I read this my first thought was there was, no 66 Camaros, but I forgot too factor in fall introductions.

I watched a few hours of the Barrett Jackson auction this weekend and the Camaro cars were well represented. Although Chevy was playing catchup with Ford, they took their time and released a good competitor in the Camaro.

Thanks again for all the info. :thanks

Onthedash is working on a chart for all the Camaro models.. They were hoping to finish it sometime in 2010.
    So I would suggest to occasionally check back there..

Here are some pics of mine..

• Heuer Camaro (v72)
    • Seiko DarthFrankentunamonster :)
    • Seiko 6139-7010
    • Casio G300 Kawasaki Racing Team
    • Pulsar Quartz
    • Seiko 0124-0049 (burning wreckage)

Thread Information