Anyone willing to help a total newbie?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone willing to help a total newbie?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone willing to help a total newbie?

Hello, all. I just found these forums, so I don't really know if this type of post is allowed, so please tell me if it's not and I'll be on my way.

My husband is about to finish his degree and I want to get him a cool graduation gift. He loves antiques, so I am looking at getting him a vintage pocket watch. The problem is, I know pretty much nothing about them, so I've just been browsing Ebay but I really don't know what I'm looking for or at. I'd love to get something military related, but that is not a must. I know I'm looking at the lower end of the price scale ($200 or less), so my options are more limited. I would love one with a front cover, but also not a must-have.

Would anyone be willing to point me in a good direction and/or look at the Ebay listing below and tell me if this is a decent watch/price (sorry, I had to put a couple spaces in the url so it would let me post)?

Again, sorry if this is not the place for this post

Ebay listing: Genuine Military Issue British WW1 Recta Pocket Watch RUNS and keeps time!

https://w ww.ebay.c om/itm/Genuine-Military-Issue-British-WW1-Recta-Pocket-Watch-RUNS-and-keeps-time/152945178983?hash=item239c3e3967:g:z8oAAOSwPypaXmS U

Re: Anyone willing to help a total newbie?

Mods: Please move to F11. Garcias.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Any reason you're set on a pocket watch? Seems like it'd be kind of a pain to carry around if you're not wearing a three piece suit - might not get much use. I guess unless he regularly wears one of those.

Either way, there are military-styled field watches in your approximate price range that are well-regarded. The Hamilton Khaki Field is a mechanical hand-wound (like most pocketwatches) wristwatch with a military style https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-kh...h69419363.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply. The pocket watch is more for the antique nature; not necessarily for carrying around all the time, but for display and collection. We both like antiques and he's always had a thing for pocket watches. Looking to combine the two interests :)

Quote Originally Posted by csf05b View Post
    Hello, all. I just found these forums, so I don't really know if this type of post is allowed, so please tell me if it's not and I'll be on my way.

My husband is about to finish his degree and I want to get him a cool graduation gift. He loves antiques, so I am looking at getting him a vintage pocket watch. The problem is, I know pretty much nothing about them, so I've just been browsing Ebay but I really don't know what I'm looking for or at. I'd love to get something military related, but that is not a must. I know I'm looking at the lower end of the price scale ($200 or less), so my options are more limited. I would love one with a front cover, but also not a must-have.

Would anyone be willing to point me in a good direction and/or look at the Ebay listing below and tell me if this is a decent watch/price (sorry, I had to put a couple spaces in the url so it would let me post)?

Again, sorry if this is not the place for this post

Ebay listing: Genuine Military Issue British WW1 Recta Pocket Watch RUNS and keeps time!

https://w ww.ebay.c om/itm/Genuine-Military-Issue-British-WW1-Recta-Pocket-Watch-RUNS-and-keeps-time/152945178983?hash=item239c3e3967:g:z8oAAOSwPypaXmS U
    What's his degree in? That is sweet you want to get something for him as a gift . I would say I also agree with others about getting him a wrist watch instead of a pocket watch. He may like antiques, but might not really enjoy the inconvenience of a pocket watch. Also, perhaps he is a person who likes antiques when a good and special one happens to come along the way. Not trying to scour ebay for one. Ebay will list a lot of "antique" with a huge variance in definition just to sell the item.
    I would say a good spot is to do a search for a price range on a good online store like jomashop. It will gear you towards a lot of different kinds of watches of all levels and prices. And a lot of military inspired as welll. First comes to my mind would be Glycine. They make great watches. But most of them are a bit over 200. Find a few and ask back here and we can help you perhaps . But we have to know more about your details as to what you want bc we can say whatever what we want but we really dont know you

Pocket watches are renown for becoming multigenerational gifts.

You'll get little support here for your initial impulse.

Repost your query here for actual assistance with your quest:

Vintage & Pocket watches
    SaoDavi likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Quote Originally Posted by csf05b View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The pocket watch is more for the antique nature; not necessarily for carrying around all the time, but for display and collection. We both like antiques and he's always had a thing for pocket watches. Looking to combine the two interests :)
    Well you can find Hamilton, Elgin, Waltham, Illinois, etc under 200. Don't expect railroad grade but you should get at least 15 jewels.

When you are searching keep in mind 12 size or higher. 12 is more of a "Gentleman's" watch 16 is the size standard that the railroads settled on. 18 is rather large and chunky but then if you are going for the antique angle then 18 size is where it is at. Largest majority of American pocket watches before 1900 were 18 size. Yes there were still other sizes but I think 18 was the mot common.

So go forth and hunt for a "18 Size Hunting Case Pocket Watch" and bring us back what you find that you like. You can change it up to 16 size too and post what you find. We promise to be honest and fair.
    badbackdan likes this.

If you just want a pocket watch just for the antique-ness, try a local antique shop. Especially if you want something military grade versus high end.

If you want a pocket watch that would function like a high end watch (like a fancy Rolex for special occasions) try a local watchmaker. They are likely to have some antique gold cased pocket watches. Granted the real antiques that are well maintained can be worth a lot.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |

16 size Illinois private label hunter 15 jewel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Size-GF-...UAAOSwLwBaZLvE
    brooklynfanatic likes this.

Thanks so much, everyone! I am looking into all of these suggestions and will report back. @thoth, the one you posted in beautiful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information