appraising a 115 year old pocket watch.

Thread: appraising a 115 year old pocket watch.

appraising a 115 year old pocket watch.

Hi, I got this watch from my grandfather several years ago and I'm not necessarily interested in selling it but I would like to know how much its worth. It's a coin silver Hamilton pocket watch from 1897. It's in great working condition. It has 17 jewels and it has several different number codes in it. one is 3306 on the outside of the inside back rim, and the other one is 46538 also in back but closer to the center. on the otherside of te inside of the back of the case it says 3a and then under it it says 3305. on the inside of the outer back case right under were it says coin silver theres a star and it says 3 4 0 5 kinda spread out a bit. on the face of the watch it says L. M. Hoffer then under that it says Kane Pa.
    If you can help with this thanks a ton!
    P.S: Im not sure how to post these pics properly so sorry in advance. Name:  IMG_2703.JPG
Views: 1144
Size:  469.9 KBName:  IMG_2706.JPG
Views: 965
Size:  362.2 KBName:  IMG_2708.JPG
Views: 7789
Size:  892.7 KB

Re: appraising a 115 year old pocket watch.

The pics actually came out alright. However they make it look pretty beat up, especially the glass. I think when i took the photos there were like shadows and wtvr because there are actually no scratches that i can see. There just some dirt or wtvr under the glass.

Hi there and welcome!

You will need to read the stickies on the main page..... as there is one which explains why we cant appraise items....

For ease... click on this link:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vin...les-67379.html

Eventhough we cant comment on price... Im sure someone will be able to supply you with some more information!

To my untrained eye... it looks very nice..... which is not that informative.... I know!

Hopefully someone will be along shortly!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Hi there and welcome!

You will need to read the stickies on the main page..... as there is one which explains why we cant appraise items....

For ease... click on this link:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vin...les-67379.html

Eventhough we cant comment on price... Im sure someone will be able to supply you with some more information!

To my untrained eye... it looks very nice..... which is not that informative.... I know!

Hopefully someone will be along shortly!

Marc
    lol. So dont appraise it. Just tell me if you were a knowledgeable antique pocketwatch collector how much you would pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HERSKO View Post
    Just tell me if you were a knowledgeable antique pocketwatch collector how much you would pay for it.
    If I were such a person, I would do my homework and check the online auction sites for similar 'Hamiliton Lancaster Watches' then take the mean average!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

You have an 18 size gr. 934 that was finished 12/9/1898.

The condition of the dial(which is key to private label dials) looks to be quite good-I think that with a new crystal, it would be a very presentable watch.

The short answer on value-it's a nice watch, but don't plan on retiring on the sale of it. The 934 is adjusted to temperature only, which makes it toward the bottom end of Hamiltons production line up. The best asset is the double sunk private label dial.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thread Information