Arnold and Dent pocket watch 1838
Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By radger
  • 1 Post By radger

Thread: Arnold and Dent pocket watch 1838

Arnold and Dent pocket watch 1838

This old pocket watch has been well used and well loved by its previous owners over several
    generations.
    It has as many as fifteen watchmakers marks hidden away in recesses of the case and is probably
    the 'most used' pocketwatch I own.

It is by Arnold and Dent.

John Roger Arnold and Edward John Dent formed a partnership which lasted ten years from 1830 to 1840.

The original silver case carries London hallmarks dating the watch to 1838, the casemakers mark a plain
    JD in capitals with no cartouche, is most probably Joseph Dewin.
    Joseph Dewin was a watchcase maker, working in Clerkenwell London 1829-1846.

Arnold and Dent were prominant and very well known horologists of their time.

They were prestigious chronometer makers and supplied the Admiralty.
    A Dent chronometer was aboard H.M.S Beagle during the famous expedition on which Charles Darwin
    gathered info for his famous work 'Origin of the species'.

Dent was also responsible for making the clock in Westminster tower commonly known as Big Ben.

John Roger Arnold was apprenticed to his famous father John Arnold and completed his apprenticeship under
    the instruction of Abraham-Louis Breguet.

This watch is rare for its time in that it is an English lever fitted with compensated balance.
    English levers at this time are mostly fitted with solid balances.

When this watch was made, the production of a bi-metalic compensated balance was a very
    expensive process and so compensated balances, at this time 1838, were mainly used in clocks or
    watches fitted with the spring detent escapement.

Back then, when a lever watch was fitted with a compensated balance it was termed a semi or
    demi-chronometer because it had some elements of the chronometer i.e the compensated balance.

This watches balance is quite massive, fitted with gold compensation screws and platinum quarter/timing
    screws, single roller table and saphire pin.

A massive balance needs a strong hairspring.

Fusee dismantled showing Harrisons maintaining power.

The escape wheel and lever is typical of English work used right up to the 20thC.

Dial side, the escape wheel has capped jewels.

The train, note the solid center wheel in the style of the earlier verges.

The dial is pinned to its own plate which is then pinned to the movement.

So there we have it, an old well used watch by Arnold and Dent, still ticking and keeping good time
    Last edited by radger; August 16th, 2014 at 09:09. Reason: correction...platinum quarter screws
    bobbee, busmatt, SilkeN and 6 others like this.

Re: Arnold and Dent pocket watch 1838

Lovely, thanks for posting! That balance is truly massive. Would this balance spring-regulator set up have been unusual for that period? I have always thought that a Bosley regulator and underslung balance spring were more common then.

Kind regards

Aditya
    Last edited by aditya; August 15th, 2014 at 21:37.

What an impressive watch Radger!

There are some really nice pics in there to... Sorry I can't add anything productive to this great thread. All I can say is congrats...

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    What an impressive watch Radger!

There are some really nice pics in there to... Sorry I can't add anything productive to this great thread. All I can say is congrats...

+ 1

Regards,

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by aditya View Post
    Lovely, thanks for posting! That balance is truly massive. Would this balance spring-regulator set up have been unusual for that period? I have always thought that a Bosley regulator and underslung balance spring were more common then.

Kind regards

Aditya
    Hi Aditya,

This balance, spring and regulator set up was definately uncommon in 1838 although I'm sure
    other examples will exist.
    In general terms, the movement looks to be around fifty years before its time, a compensated balance
    on a lever watch in 1838 is very uncommon as is the regulator/balance spring set up.
    aditya likes this.

Thread Information