Arrived today... Gubelin Moonphase Triple Date Help ID the Movement: Valjoux 06? vs Valjoux 90

Thread: Arrived today... Gubelin Moonphase Triple Date Help ID the Movement: Valjoux 06? vs Valjoux 90

Arrived today... Gubelin Moonphase Triple Date Help ID the Movement: Valjoux 06? vs Valjoux 90

Hi All,
    It seems my Gubelin streak has continued with the latest arrival: a Gubelin Triple Date Moonphase. Likely from the 1940s-1950s. This guy will need some rehab to get back to its former glory, but the dial looks to be in quite good shape for its age, and I'm guessing that it's an original dial based on the sharpness of the print and the old radium (?) dots above the hour markers. Would love to hear your thoughts on the dial.

On opening the case back, I was slightly surprised to see that the movement and case back are unsigned. The inside case back is marked "ACIER *INOX*", "SWISS MADE", and 94309. The movement has what looks to be a Valjoux ebauche, followed by crisp "06". I looked very carefully to confirm the caliber number, as I was surprised that it wasn't a Valjoux 90. An 06 isn't in the Ranfft movement database, and the only other reference to it that I found was in this ebay auction for a Tacar Triple Date Moonphase. So I know they exist, I just don't know anything about this movement, nor their reputation, though I seem to recall that the Valjoux 90 is considered a well made and reliable movement. The movement is 25 mm in diameter and the case is just over 36 mm in diameter without the crown.

I should probably make a separate thread, but does anyone have any recs for a good watchmaker in New York City to service this guy? It would be nice if it were local, but I'm not opposed to shipping it off for service if there's a watchmaker who loves working on these kind of vintage Valjoux manual movements and is more reasonably priced.

Name:  Gubelin Moon Face 2.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  344.7 KBName:  Gubelin Moon Face.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  296.0 KBName:  Gubelin Moonphase Movement 2.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  309.5 KBName:  Gubelin Moon Phase Movement 1.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  345.1 KBName:  Gubelin Moonphase Caseback .jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  187.5 KB
    Last edited by woodwkr2; October 14th, 2011 at 23:20. Reason: Wasn't finished...oops

Re: Arrived today... Gubelin Moonphase Triple Date Help ID the Movement: Valjoux 06? vs Valjoux 90

That sounds an awful lot like the "710" joke

The punch line is: I can't find the "OIL" cap, only this cap that says "710"
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

Re: Arrived today... Gubelin Moonphase Triple Date Help ID the Movement: Valjoux 06? vs Valjoux 90

Wow. Just wow. Problem is, I wasn't joking. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me, bjohnson. Glad that it's preserved for all posterity in this forum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Problem is, I wasn't joking. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me, bjohnson. Glad that it's preserved for all posterity in this forum.
    As I was reading the first post, I was thinking: now how do I say this diplomatically? Glad that somebody beat me too it a really nice way.

Thanks for the chuckle. Really nice watch, I am a little jealous.

I'm sure having an awesome watch will dull the pain.
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

What a nice find...the dial seems to be in really good shape.

Thread Information