Art Deco style Roamer Watch
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By RobW
  • 1 Post By demonfinder

Thread: Art Deco style Roamer Watch

Art Deco style Roamer Watch

I am not much of a Roamer fan, although while living in England I came across many in vintage shops. This one, however, caught my eye while browsing an antique shop in California. I was actually looking for 1920s art deco style Bulovas, and found one in the same shop, but the Roamer had a nicer case. Although it was the exact dimensions as the Bulova, it wore larger on my wrist and the dial was in reasonable condition. So I bought this (the fading you see on the left side of the dial is lighting, not the dial. The patina is even). It's a 1925 7-jewel model, but that is all I know. Although I have seen a couple of 1920s Roamers on eBay and a couple of other sites I have seen absolutely none with this dial. Does anybody have an idea about this version? Any observations would be appreciated.

Name:  Roamer.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  1.25 MB

Re: Art Deco style Roamer Watch

Hi RobW,
    The dial on your watch is fairly typical for many late `20`s thru 1930`s Roamers and some other MST brands like Medana and Tiega to name just two.
    I think your watch is probably from the 1930`s because I don`t think Roamer had a men`s rectangular movement before then.
    The case is also typical of those for the U.S market at that time as they had much more fancy decoration than the European and British designs.
    The case may even possibly have been made by a U.S.company for Roamer.
    I have a few watches in my collection which bear some similarities:
    Name:  MST  264.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  95.9 KBName:  IMG_20171102_184134930_HDR.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  168.1 KB

If you haven`t already You could check out these useful sites that have some photo`s and info on early Roamers including calibre details.
    Some early calibres were marked on the dial side so you might not see numbers under the balance wheel.
    Both are by W.U.S. members .

Vintage Roamer Watch Site

http://www.mirius.co.uk/

Much thanks, demonfinder. I have indeed previously visited the Vintage Roamer Watch Site and thought the Roamer 7 Jewel MST 264 and the version with the cut-corner case were the closest to mine in terms of year of manufacture, perhaps late 1920s early 1930s. The case on my watch looks almost identical to the Bulovas of that era and would easily have been cased in the U.S. I'l have a chat with my watchmaker when I pick up the watch after serving and get the details of the movement. Again, thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have never researched it seriously but I have noticed that most Roamers of the era in the US are cased in Nickle rather than gold filled or RGP. Bulovas are generally in gold filled cases and only rarely only 7 jewels. Of course, Bulova also owned their own case mfg by about 1926/27 if I recall correctly.

Just a couple of thoughts regarding the comparison to Bulova.

Nice watch BTW.

Some of the mens Bulovas (and other makers) of the period had some amazing cased examples with a lot of fancy engraving and the very inventive stepped case designs to try to disguise the fact they contain round rather than the then in vogue new rectangular calibres.
    RobW`s watch may contain a ladies round calibre or rectangular to give it that thinner rectangular shape or an MST 302 movement (which according to Trim`s site was Roamer`s first rectangular mens calibre around 1930 )
    Name:  MST 302 .New balnce fitted,labour £12 at Middletons.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  119.7 KBName:  IMG_20170815_150544591_HDR.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  147.8 KB
    busmatt likes this.

Thread Information