Art Deco Style Skeletonized "Tavannes" Pocket Watch?

Thread: Art Deco Style Skeletonized "Tavannes" Pocket Watch?

Art Deco Style Skeletonized "Tavannes" Pocket Watch?

A friend is offering to sell me an art deco style skeletonized pocket watch which looks identical to this watch save for the markings on the dial
    Art Deco Chrome Bucherer Enamel Skeleton Pocket Watch from antiqueworldusa on Ruby Lane
    Rather than Bucherer the watch is made by "New Factory Tavannes" and is a 38C Swiss movement.
    I have never saw another in this style until I did the Google search and found the Bucherer.
    Any ideas on the time frame these watches were produced and their rarity? It has just been professionally cleaned and looks great.
    Thanks.

Re: Art Deco Style Skeletonized "Tavannes" Pocket Watch?

The movement looks like a 30's or 40's product. They are relatively rare but demand is insufficient to make them valuable.

I find these watches are a magnet to the non-WIS of the world. More than a clear caseback, these attract those who like to marvel at the mechanical complexity of horology. I take off my skeletons and hand them over... they are marveled for several minutes. Nice watch!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Art Deco Style Skeletonized "Tavannes" Pocket Watch?

The movement is a wrist watch movement with an extended winding stem in a pocket watch case. This watch is definitely old but the concept was picked up by Roamer who brought out a similar looking wrist watch in the 2000s with an Adolf Schild AS 1727 movement. I would agree - a little different but not so special as to make the whole thing worth massive bucks.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information