Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By blueblunt
  • 3 Post By mkws
  • 4 Post By pmwas
  • 1 Post By Chascomm
  • 5 Post By SilkeN

Thread: Artdeco Watch

Artdeco Watch

Hello everyone I just found this piece on the internet, I have been looking for a watch like this with the cool engravings and stuff. I still cant tell if a dail is repainted or not and Ive been making alot of mistakes lately, so I want to make sure by asking you guys before I buy anymore watches. I'm also not sure about the second hand since it looks like its over extending a little or is that normal? Thanks!
    Name:  sil1.jpeg
Views: 52
Size:  87.7 KBName:  silv 2.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  69.4 KBName:  sil 3.jpeg
Views: 52
Size:  90.0 KBName:  silv 4.jpeg
Views: 56
Size:  86.8 KB
    SilkeN likes this.

Re: Artdeco Watch

Well, the case is sterling silver, imported to Britain by Arthur George Rendell (Robert Pringle & Sons of Clerkenwell Road, London). The second hand could be a replacement, but seems to stay within the recessed subdial.
    The red 24h track seems sort of "handmade..."
    blueblunt, SunnyOrange and SilkeN like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

IMO the 24h scale is handmade, but likely from the era - many watches of the time (pocket watches mostly) have an applied 24h scale on the dial.
    Have a great day!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

I'd characterise the style as more of a late example of Art Nouveau rather than Art Deco. But that's just a subjective opinion.
    blueblunt likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Well, the case is sterling silver, imported to Britain by Arthur George Rendell (Robert Pringle & Sons of Clerkenwell Road, London). The second hand could be a replacement, but seems to stay within the recessed subdial.
    The red 24h track seems sort of "handmade..."
    Is that considered a redail? Will it decrease the value or does it just add a little character to it since it was made in the era? I mean would you guys be comfortable buying this?

No it is not a redial. The dial is an orginal. In the early 20th century, the 24-hour division of the day was not used. This came only with timetables, day and night shifts, etc. Part of everyday life. It was modern to retrofit dials with it. This happened by means of decals or also like here with handwritten letters. Some collectors are annoyed by it and some consider it a part of watch life. It is up to you how you see it.

Regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Thread Information