Asking for advice

Thread: Asking for advice

Asking for advice

Would you experts be able to give me a bit of advice? I have seen a watch that I am very drawn to. The description on the web site is as follows: Rolex solid 9ct rose gold with very unusual heavy hinged Swiss made case, manual winding 15 jewel movement, case dial and movement signed Rolex. Ca 1920's. Serviced and in very good condition. The price is $764 US. The watch is for sale from Armadale Watch Gallery, Australia. I was drawn to the look of the watch and the fact that it is about 70 years old - I really like vintage things. Do you think it would run ok, would it be difficult getting parts for repairs, and is the price ok? Any advice you could give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much for your consideration. Regards, Edith Wilmot-Quigg, Sarnia, Ontario.

Re: Asking for advice

Hey, I have owned a couple of Rolexes from the 10's-20's and service never was an issue. If you ever have any problem, get in touch with John Durrant from the Creemore Watch and Clock Company. They' based just off the High Street, in Creemore, opposite the Brewery. Should your watch even need parts, John will have them. If he doesn't, then he can make them from scratch! It is also worth noting that he has already worked extremely successfully on vintage and antique Rolexes.
    You can reach him on
    www.creemoreclock.com
    or 705-466-3152
    My personal feeling about the watch you're thinking of buying is this: If the case is solid gold and it has had a recent service.... and you really like it, then I'd say go for it. These are not only rare but extremely hard to get by in good condition. They are also extremely well made, and provided that you don't do anything silly, like drop it or put it under water, it'll keep time, for you, your children, your grandchildren, and so on and so forth!
    I hope this helps,
    redjack.

It looks to be in lovely shape although the engraving lowers its value to the collector. However many people find this personal touch rather charming in old watches.
    The seller looks pretty reputable but I'd check with him to make sure that it has been recently serviced. If not you can count on another $100-$150 to make sure it's running OK. If it is it'll be a fine timekeeper.
    I agree with redjack that an 80 year old antique is not up to regular use and abuse though. You can't wear it anywhere near water and it's not shockproof so you have to be very careful about dropping it or giving it a knock. This type of watch will need service every 5 years or so if you wear it and operate it a lot.
    The biggest problem with anything this age is how it was treated by previous owners and how much wear and tear it got over the years. It'll definitely be a sunny Sunday morning or dress-up occasion watch. Unfortunately we cannot give you much advice on the topic of running condition from a photo.
    I can give you the phone number of a top notch service guy in Toronto if you ever need it.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks to you both for your responses. I think I am going to go for it - I usually follow my heart and your information was very helpful. Ray, if you could give me the name of the Toronto repair that would be very helpful. Redjack, thanks so much for your comments. Cheers, I will let you know if and when I receive it! Regards, Edith Wilmot-Quigg, Sarnia, ON, Canada.

Thread Information