Assistance with Identification and/or Information on vintage Hamilton Pocketwatch

Thread: Assistance with Identification and/or Information on vintage Hamilton Pocketwatch

Assistance with Identification and/or Information on vintage Hamilton Pocketwatch

Hello,

I have been a casual observer of this site for quite some time and have seen a lot of folks give great information regarding rare and vintage pieces. Even though this is my first post, I have enjoyed the sense of community felt by many of the site users. So, I'm hoping I could get some help on a piece my father just gave to me as a family heirloom. Additionally, I'm unsure if there is a forum category specifically devoted to 'mystery timepieces' so apologies in advance if this is the most appropriate place to post this.

I know a little about Hamilton as a company and have been looking to purchase one for the last couple months. So, I found it ironic when my father (after hearing I was becoming increasingly interested in automatic timepieces) gave me his grandfathers vintage Hamilton pocket watch as a gift. He fixed it up and it is running smoothly. When my father asked if I knew anything about Hamilton pocket watches that may be ~100 years old I said all I knew was they started as timepiece providers for railroad workers in the early 1890s, and my dad said with great exclamation his grandfather worked for a railroad company his entire life.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  315.8 KB

So, I'm asking if anyone knows anything about this piece regarding value, history, model, movement, etc. With my father living in Florida and myself in Ohio, he only sent me one photo (I still need to travel south to pick it up) but I can ask him to take additional photos if you think it will help. Thank you very much in advance for any insight you can provide.

Best, Chris

Re: Assistance with Identification and/or Information on vintage Hamilton Pocketwatch

We are going to have to wait until you can get the movement pics to us. That will allow us to date the watch and tell you a great deal more than a dial pic tells us.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Assistance with Identification and/or Information on vintage Hamilton Pocketwatch

My shot-in-the-dark(educated) guess is that it's an 18 size grade 940, although as Eeeb says we need to see the movement.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the responses. I assumed I'd have to get pictures of the movement as well to get the whole story. My father is taking additional photos tomorrow and I'll post them soon after.

Thanks again, Chris

Thread Information