Atlantic Varldsmastarur - worth restoring?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Atlantic Varldsmastarur - worth restoring?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Atlantic Varldsmastarur - worth restoring?

Hello guys,

I was kind of lucky last Sunday. Following the advice of a good and experienced member of this wonderful forum I went safari on antique shops and a flea market.

For 45 euros I bought without second thought an Atlantic Varldsmastarur. It works fine but the dial has significant wear. Does it worth restoring it? Any good restorer that you have used and can be recommended for his work and logical prices?

Many thanks for your help.

Antonis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shum likes this.

Re: Atlantic Varldsmastarur - worth restoring?

It's damaged so You can not restore it without repainting it or finding a replacement
    atsamoulis likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The dial doesn't look so bad as to really need repair. OK, so it is spotty and if you prefer pristine, you'd have it done. At the same time, it would not be worth it economically. It would cost money while at the same time reducing the value (already not excessive) for resale and if you wait long enough, you will find another one of that type in better condition anyway.

The movement is by Adolf Schild, by the way:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1188

Hartmut Richter
    atsamoulis and Shum like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like it would take a lot of work, not sure if you can find replacement faces?
    atsamoulis likes this.

Thank you all for the replies. After all I would agree Hartmut, it is not so bad it is just that the spots look like moulding, perhaps they are a result of this? I saw the other day a totally restored one sold for 330, which I find excessive. I might look around for a dial in a better condition. If you come across anything and you still recall our discussion please feel free to post or send a message.

Many thanks again for your views!

Antonjs

Shum likes this.

There might be a problem with sourcing a whole new dial for one of these... They are not rare, they were very popular (especially in the Eastern Bloc and in Sweden- Valrdsmastarur is the Swedish market version)- but I would be surprised if the stashes of dials haven't dried up yet. The manufacturer quite certainly does not provide spare dials... If you're really set on redialing, you might want to look for a restorer based in Poland, Czech Republic or Hungary- Atlantic was very popular there, and every now and then I see redialed Atlantics from there surface on eBay. And these redials are terrifyingly accurate.
    You can also keep an eye on Atlantic dials surfacing on eBay, but I don't know what are the chances of finding the right dial. Because remember, that these dials were installed on a few different movements, mainly by ETA or A. Schild- but I don't think there is a way of knowing, for what movement was a particular dial intended. A dial for a 17-jewel ETA and a 17-jewel AS would not be anyhow different in terms of the markings, so...
    atsamoulis, v8chrono and Shum like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I think I would just have to see it in person. It's a nice watch. It's a bit on the rough side for me, but it doesn't seem too bad. Maybe all it needs is just a nice distressed black strap.
    Last edited by CC Texas; February 21st, 2017 at 00:38.
    atsamoulis and Shum like this.
    "A watch is ruined, not by time, but by bad handling. To run well it should be wound regularly, cleaned yearly, and, if injured, taken to a competent, practical man. A ​Waltham watch properly cared for will last a lifetime." -American Waltham Watch Co. Catalog (c) 1900
    “When your watch gets out of order you have a choice of two things to do: throw it in the fire or take it to the watch-tinker. The former is the quickest.” -Mark Twain

If you rally like it, yes, but the cost will be far more than you paid for it. You already made a big mistake by winding it.
    atsamoulis likes this.

The dial is not so bad.

In original condition should be like this

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    If you rally like it, yes, but the cost will be far more than you paid for it. You already made a big mistake by winding it.
    Thanks. I am ready to pay the same amount even more if this can make this stains go away. By the way, in what sense I did a mistake by winding it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information