Atlantic Worldmaster 21 Jewl
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Atlantic Worldmaster 21 Jewl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Atlantic Worldmaster 21 Jewl

I've had what looks to be a quite old Atlantic Worldmaster for quite a while now, and I'd like to possibly have it resorted.

Before I embark into the restoration precess can anyone possibly point me to any info about this watch. I'd be most interested in how old it is.

Here are few quick pics of the dial and movement.

Re: Atlantic Worldmaster 21 Jewl

Here are the pics:

Name:  IMG_1383.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  1.31 MBName:  IMG_1385.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  2.17 MBName:  IMG_1388.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  2.06 MB
    busmatt likes this.

Hi, I like these Worldmasters. I had a similar one but with a champagne coloured dial. All use an Unitas movement and this one is no exception, somewhere in the 6300 series.
    I'd like to respect your wishes but I would advise you to go for a different Atlantic as this is a very bad redial, or is it already yours? There are still many good ones to be found if you have a little patience.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This one is already mine, it was given to me by a family member. I don't believe the dial had been refinished, but I guess it is possible because the underside of the back covers suggests the watch was last services in 2000.

What I'd most like to get restored/replaces is the crystal and the case. Are such parts still available for these watches?

Quote Originally Posted by kopter28 View Post
    What I'd most like to get restored/replaces is the crystal and the case. Are such parts still available for these watches?
    The case I don't think so unless you buy a non runner on Ebay for example and swap the cases. The crystal can be easily replaced by a watchmaker.

What's wrong with your case that you want to replace it? And I'm not sure that it's a redial. The picture quality isn't good enough for me to be sure but from what I can see it looks original. I'd have to have a good picture (preferably with the crystal off) to be sure but it doesn't scream "re-dial" at me.

Quote Originally Posted by unreformed66 View Post
    What's wrong with your case that you want to replace it? And I'm not sure that it's a redial. The picture quality isn't good enough for me to be sure but from what I can see it looks original. I'd have to have a good picture (preferably with the crystal off) to be sure but it doesn't scream "re-dial" at me.
    What looks like the chrome plating on the case is flaking off in several places, especially in the back. I'm not necessarily looking to replace it, just to refurbish it.

I'll get some better pictures in natural light tomorrow, but I also don't think it's a redial.

The crystal might distort the image a bit, and a picture without the crystal will clarify what it is. If there will be no difference, then it's- with 100% certainty- a redial.
    The paint creeps up the hour markers, the raised logo... Or so it looks (rather badly) from this perspective.
    I would date the watch to the 1960s, possibly the early 1970s. I haven't seen many specimens with Unitas movements, the movements most often seen in Atlantic watches are by ETA and AS. They were watches of a really decent quality back in the day, using generic movements finished to quite a high standard, with either two or three adjustments (I can't see how many in case of your watch). The Atlantic logo as on this one has been introduced circa 1960, give or take a year, and used until very late 1980s/very early 1990s, and somewhere around then replaced by the logo they use until today.
    Why, oh, why replace the case? Looks really good to me. The crown has seen better days, and doesn't really match the case, but that's that. Crystal? Only needs to be replaced if cracked, otherwise- a simple polishing will do. If the case has only minor scratches, you can have them polished off, if you really can't live with them. Or you can have the case replated, if they're still a problem.
    As to whether parts are available or not, depends on where you are located. Atlantic was one of the few brands exporting watches to the Eastern Bloc. By 1965, Poland was the main market for Atlantic, although they sold a lot of these also in other Eastern European countries. I'm pretty certain, that they were also available in the GDR (dials marked "Weltmeister"). So I guess that sourcing- for example- a NOS dial from there wouldn't be much of a problem.
    Last edited by mkws; November 27th, 2015 at 23:02.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Unfortunately I don't have neither the tools nor the skills to take the movement out and take pictures without the crystal. I took some more pictures, a few in natural light that might allow to see the dial a bit better.

The movement has 2 adjustments.

I'm located in Canada, but the watch did come from Poland, it was owned by my grandfather.

Any ideas where in Canada or even the US I could possibly have this worked on? I'm assuming the original crystal would not have been sapphire? How well could it be polished, it's really quite badly scratched up.

Name:  PB270010.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  2.75 MBName:  PB280015.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  1.39 MBName:  PB280019.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  1.92 MB

OK, from this perspective it looks much better. All the fonts are correct, which would rule out a redial, and the hour markers appear to be simply dirty. The word "Original" was once red, and it appears to have faded out, and that makes it even more unlikely to be a redial. It happens quite often, that a battered crystal + photo angle and the lighting to create an effect of a redial. Crystal polishing? Any watchmaker can do that. The crystal is hesalite alright. As to a full service- which is a necessity, if the watch has not been worn for a long time- I'm sure that the members based in Canada will be able to recommend you a good watchmaker.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information