Auction find and now i need help!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Auction find and now i need help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Auction find and now i need help!

Ok so I like online auctions and recently saw a group of watches go up for bid. I gave myself a $100 limit and here's what I got! A pair cased pocket watch, three trench watches and a cyma RR watch. the cyma was easy to identify, ETA 9362 movement. and so was the elgin, 1915 7 jewel movement. the two Swiss I'm not sure on. And then there's this I think the hallmark dates it to 1789. the maker is Chas Clayton, which is probably short for Charles. this is my first fuse movement so any info you can give me would be helpful as I do plan on getting it repaired.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Auction find and now i need help!

The PW looks to be a fairly typical verge fusee of modest quality. The chain appears to be missing, which will often push the cost of repair well past the value of the watch if you can find someone to do the work.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

The chain is there but it is broken, you can just see it off to the left in the one picture. With only spending $20 on it so far I figure I can spend a couple hundred to fix it and still not go past the value.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree
    To me the only interesting piece is the old Fusee pocket watch
    I hope you can restore it and re-post in its glory.
    Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Fusee chains are typically hand-made; so imagine tying a knot with steel wire using tweezers, and you're getting close to understanding the level of skill required to even start working on one, never minding the level of precision and finish required to ensure that it actually works correctly and consistently. IN short, getting just the chain fixed is liable to cost several hundred dollars, not even going into taking the watch apart and cleaning it.

That said, working verge watches are increasingly rare, and will only get more rare.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I'll be taking it to my watch guy today to see what the cost will be but I will probably get it fixed no mater what the cost is, just to have one in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by dgf67 View Post
    I'll be taking it to my watch guy today to see what the cost will be but I will probably get it fixed no mater what the cost is, just to have one in my collection.
    Keep us informed
    Any issue I do know a master watchmaker that could di it in US.
    Best
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by dgf67 View Post
    I will probably get it fixed no mater what the cost is
    One advantage of your approach is you will learn far more about chain fusee and verge escapements than if you'd bought a functional piece to start with. At least that's how I learned
    Last edited by Tick Talk; June 8th, 2013 at 17:49.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Fusee chain is like cutting staffs and vibrating hairsprings - it's undoable until you do it. Lost links can be replaced, cracks can be welded, pins riveted and hooks made. [This is why they call it watchmaking.] While I can't describe them as vast stocks, there are multiple dealers sitting on chains (in a few sizes). I can clearly remember when SLR was selling them for $67.20 U.S.. They often required some repair or modification but at the end if you were patient the chain issue could be addressed.
    Courtesy of ULF.

A great many old verges are still ticking away after all these years, it is a crude, yet robust and
    almost foolproof escapement.

If the chain is the only problem then that is easily replaced, on EbayUK there are always good chains with both hooks for sale,
    in all the various lengths.
    A good chain goes for around £7.00, the hooking arrangement on late verges, such as these, is exactly the same as fitted to
    English fusee lever watches and these movements, complete with chains are awash on ebayuk at around £12.00 also. Buying a 'sound' chain of
    the correct length is the important thing.

The chain should be entirely free from rust and shining like a new pin, I've examined and have a few fusees and even after a couple
    of hundred years the chains are tight and show no wear. A sound chain will remain sound for many more years I.M.O with the main
    cause of breakage being corrosion.

The chains can be repaired, but the repair would have to be confident and totaly sound, a chain break under tension can cause real
    damage, mainly to the teeth of the center wheel.

For a peak inside a verge see this post I did a while ago, they are simple enough and shouldn't present a problem to a watchmaker.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/fil...ge-437196.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information