Audemars Piguet Moonphase Watch
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 2 Post By Michael Maddan
  • 1 Post By georges zaslavsky

Thread: Audemars Piguet Moonphase Watch

Audemars Piguet Moonphase Watch

Hi fellow watch enthusiasts!

Have been following the forum for a while but had not had a chance join the discussions due to my lack of knowledge and hoping to learn more as I go along!

As it is, I just made my first big purchase and got this watch, an Audemars Piguet Day-Date Moonphase watch. I know it's not a Royal Oak and that is pretty much what AP is about these days. Yet I found myself very attracted to how clean and neat the dial was, and the sophistication in its simplicity.

Also, I'm also interested to know your thoughts on AP as a brand given their very interesting history and in a sense design milestones. I've tried to find more information online about AP but most of it is just Royal Oak and such, and hoping to get more opinions regarding their other collections such as the Jules Audemars side, which is the side I'm more attracted to.

Just wanted to get some opinions or thoughts! Lemme know what you think :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Audemars Piguet Moonphase Watch

Once Audemars Piguet was second to none and where masterpieces.

Don't know that much about these now but it should be a 18k model from the late 80's early 90's.

I suppose some people might consider this to be a vintage watch, but for me, it's a pre-owned modern watch, and I find it a bit out of place in this forum. I'm not criticizing, just explaining why this thread may not get a lot of traction. Regarding AP, I have a good impression about it as a brand in terms of quality. But there is no question that the RO is where the main interest lies.
    Last edited by badbackdan; August 24th, 2017 at 19:32.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

jpo

Yup that's a beauty.....I'm not a big fan of Roman numeral dials but I'd be all over this AP.
    Indy Timekeepers Founder

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to Watchuseek. It looks like a nice watch but, until we see the movement, we can't even say for definite that it is genuine. It looks a little like a Ref. 25589 from the 1980s which should have something on the basis of the Cal. 2120 inside (base: JLC Cal. 920, never used by JLC but made available to AP who redesignated it as the Cal. 2120, as well as VC who redesignated it as the Cal. 1120 - or even PP who redesignated it as the 28-255!). Is it a simple calendar or an annual or perpetual calendar?

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I suppose some people might consider this to be a vintage watch, but for me, it's a pre-owned modern watch, and I find it a bit out of place in this forum. I'm not criticizing, just explaining why this thread may not get a lot of traction. Regarding AP, I have a good impression about it as a brand in terms of quality. But there is no question that the RO is where the main interest lies.
    Thanks for the feedback! I guess the reason for posting here was to get advice from people like yourself who have experience in the vintage watches, as that is where my interest really lies. But note taken for future posts :)

@jpo: Thank you! I'm not a big fan of Roman numbers too but was really attracted to the watch as a whole.

@Shum and Hartmut Richter: thanks for helping to identify the watch! I was also guessing that the watch is from the 80s. Based on what I know, the watch runs on a perpetual calendar. I don't have a picture of the movement inside at the moment. As the watch is fairly expensive, I am not keen to open the caseback myself and risk damaging anything. Any friendly advice as to whether letting an independent watch retailer/expert open the case back would be a safe route to go? Or would I have to do it at the AP service centre? Thanks in advance!

Doesn't look like a perpetual calendar to me - certainly not compared to another AP perpetual calendar, the ref. 25657 (introduced in the late 1970s). For one, your watch has no means of setting the month, and taking into account the length of each month is the key feature of any perpetual calendar. The perpetual calendar complication can work without day of the week display, but the month is absolutely crucial. Even quartz perpetual calendars, with only one window for the entire calendar complication (for example Omega cal. 1680), tend to have a "brief display" function to set the month and adjust the leap year indicator. No such features here.

To me, it looks a simple day-date + moonphase.

As to opening up the back...just don't take it to a battery-swapper's booth in a shopping centre. Have a proper watchmaker get it open. I suppose that you could take it to an AP retailer as well. If that option gives you a peace of mind, I guess that's the option to choose.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Murtywaters...Hello. I predict that you'll confirm this to be a 'Real AP'...quickly noted: take a look at the hands & how they're finished / mounted...I've yet to see a Replica that's as nicely done as this.

I think that this AP certainly belongs in this Forum...although it's nowhere near as old as many of the pieces showing up, it's from an era that's old enough! Considering that an interesting element of this Forum is simply to get to see unusual watches--and I've not seen one like this here, before--your Posting is appreciated.

For what it's worth: I hear that Factory Service for watches like your AP can be surprisingly expensive...several hundred US$ for a basic cleaning (!)...so, be advised: if you take it to AP, be prepared to spend, spend, spend! To my mind, a good independant shop could handle this watch rather easily .

...images of the movement would be nice! Michael.
    busmatt and badbackdan like this.

Hi guys! I did not manage to get a good picture of the movement (my bad) due to the lighting in the shop but had my watch handed over to an independent shop for a service overhaul, and he helped me to take some photos of the individual components! Just got the watch back and thought might share it here since we did not know what was really inside the watch. Enjoy! :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

definitely based on the jaeger lecoultre 889/2 due to rotor and the ball bearings
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: LeCoultre 889/2
    mkws likes this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Thread Information