Aurea Chronograph - Valjoux 92

Thread: Aurea Chronograph - Valjoux 92

Aurea Chronograph - Valjoux 92

Hello, everyone. This time, I'd appreciate some help with an Aurea Chronograph, equipped with caliber Valjoux 92. I suppose it could be one of those rare non-signed Chronographe Suisse specimens stuffed with a column wheel movement - don't know if this "Aurea" brand was an independent watchmaker. Not in pristine condition, but it's offered for a really low price 'round here, hence my interest. Do you think the dial has been touched?

Name:  aurea1.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  399.4 KBName:  aurea2.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  447.1 KB
    "We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
    All art is quite useless."

Oscar Wilde

"Vou-me embora pra Pasárgada
    Lá sou amigo do rei
    Lá tenho a mulher que eu quero
    Na cama que escolherei."

Manuel Bandeira

Re: Aurea Chronograph - Valjoux 92

The bottom of the lugs looks like it has brassing to it, so I don't think it's an all-steel case.

Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Exactly: only the caseback is SS:

Name:  aurea3.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  227.4 KB

As for the brand, my guess is that it belonged to that brazilian company founded in 1921. Every now and then I see some watch branded "Aurea" for sale online; the thing is that they only seem to pop up here in Brazil. I have a monopusher chronograph with a Valjoux GHT which was custom made: new case and new dial for an old movement. And they put "Aurea" on the dial. Interesting...

Anything on the dial? To be honest, I'd say it was at least repainted at some point.
    "We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
    All art is quite useless."

Oscar Wilde

"Vou-me embora pra Pasárgada
    Lá sou amigo do rei
    Lá tenho a mulher que eu quero
    Na cama que escolherei."

Manuel Bandeira

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The name not on the movement, dial may have come from another watch but looks nice to me.

Val 92 is pretty cool, you can see all the cost cutting with the wire springs instead of stamped and hand smoothed steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Silva View Post
    Exactly: only the caseback is SS:

Name:  aurea3.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  227.4 KB

As for the brand, my guess is that it belonged to that brazilian company founded in 1921. Every now and then I see some watch branded "Aurea" for sale online; the thing is that they only seem to pop up here in Brazil. I have a monopusher chronograph with a Valjoux GHT which was custom made: new case and new dial for an old movement. And they put "Aurea" on the dial. Interesting...

Anything on the dial? To be honest, I'd say it was at least repainted at some point.
    Certainly could have been redialed. The quality of the printing on the scales seems somewhat low. In some areas of the dial, it looks like it technically could be a result of dial cleaning gone wrong, but all in all, looks fishy to me. Besides, the condition of the case would put me off in the first place. Save for the chrome being worn, looks like someone has used one Cape Cod cloth too much on this one.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I say, the dial looks okiedoke to me but agree the case is farked.

Thread Information