Is this a authentic Breitling?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is this a authentic Breitling?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this a authentic Breitling?

Hello all WUS members... as being a breitling fan... this watch came across a few days ago. Can someone help telling if this is one authentic breitlng watch?

Thank to all members

rott3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Is this a authentic Breitling?

Fake. The movement is a Venus, the 188 most likely, and Breitling used these, but the dial inscription is not period-correct for a 1940s Breitling, and it's all the same with the engraving on the movement. It's a simple 1940s chronograph pretending to be a Breitling. Let me guess, it is being sold from South America?
    eri231 likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Hi mkws,

Thanks for your prompt reply...very sad to hear thatas I was already enloved with his one....the watch was beeing sold on a local small antiques street event... dont know its provinience...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd advise you to wait until someone more knowledgeable in Breitling chimes in. I don't think there's much more to say about the watch, but it's always better to get a clearer picture through more feedback- and more of it I cannot possibly provide.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    I'd advise you to wait until someone more knowledgeable in Breitling chimes in. I don't think there's much more to say about the watch, but it's always better to get a clearer picture through more feedback- and more of it I cannot possibly provide.
    mkws thanks once again! I hope to hear more feedbacks.... but I am convinced with your statements...

Regards

rott3

I would say frankenfake as well.

Fred will know.
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

Well I guess those pics don't tell much but enough about vintage Breitling these days.....Fake or franken until proven otherwise....If the Breitling engraving supposed to be on the movement it looks badly done...
    So many watches.....so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by jackruff View Post
    Well I guess those pics don't tell much but enough about vintage Breitling these days.....Fake or franken until proven otherwise....If the Breitling engraving supposed to be on the movement it looks badly done...
    Thats exactly whats going on my mind... it seems that every good looking vintage watch is most likely fake than authentic...

Quote Originally Posted by rott3 View Post
    Thats exactly whats going on my mind... it seems that every good looking vintage watch is most likely fake than authentic...
    With the number of fakes and frankens flooding the market recently, I understand your point of view, however it is the case mostly when you look at all these eBay listings for Omega, Longines, Rolex, Breitling, Ulysse Nardin, and Girard-Perregaux. Tissot, Certina, Bulova and so on are much safer bets. I guess that if you want a vintage chrono, you don't really need to look at the brand that much. Most of them are equipped with generic movements by Valjoux, Landeron or Venus. So what you buy is the movement, not the brand- at least the way I see it. Will a Landeron 48 in a Baume and Mercier be any different than a Landeron 48 in a watch by a brand you've never even heard of? Not really. What I once have thought of doing, was buying an "orphaned" movement, dial and hands from a Chronographe Suisse, a NOS steel case to fit the movement, and get a "budget" chrono this way. Hopefully I'll return to that project sometime this year.
    Returning to Breitling- when I look on eBay, it becomes clear, that it unfortunately has a place in the top 10- if not the top 5- of most faked brands.
    Shum likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    With the number of fakes and frankens flooding the market recently, I understand your point of view, however it is the case mostly when you look at all these eBay listings for Omega, Longines, Rolex, Breitling, Ulysse Nardin, and Girard-Perregaux. Tissot, Certina, Bulova and so on are much safer bets. I guess that if you want a vintage chrono, you don't really need to look at the brand that much. Most of them are equipped with generic movements by Valjoux, Landeron or Venus. So what you buy is the movement, not the brand- at least the way I see it. Will a Landeron 48 in a Baume and Mercier be any different than a Landeron 48 in a watch by a brand you've never even heard of? Not really. What I once have thought of doing, was buying an "orphaned" movement, dial and hands from a Chronographe Suisse, a NOS steel case to fit the movement, and get a "budget" chrono this way. Hopefully I'll return to that project sometime this year.
    Returning to Breitling- when I look on eBay, it becomes clear, that it unfortunately has a place in the top 10- if not the top 5- of most faked brands.

Indeed. Mostly because there are A LOT of Venus movements around from smaller makers ready to be desecrated by a wrong bridge and fake engraving. Same with the L48 family.
    mkws likes this.
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information