Authentic german ww2 u boat watch
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Authentic german ww2 u boat watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Authentic german ww2 u boat watch

Hi

I am very very new to this forum. I am thinking of buying this watch. My query is, is this watch authentic from ww2? Is it real and how much would this cost to buy? i really like it but i am concerned about buying a dud. Any tips/advice would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Authentic german ww2 u boat watch

This looks like a dud to me, Welcome to the forum BTW but do not buy this please! It is not an authentic anything and was probably knocked together last week in someone's garage in the Ukraine.

regards

tim

thanks very much, the fella said he bought it in Munich and i have seen the same watch with the exact same face and that it is actually a Russian watch. the watch is not from a bidding website as such and it is not for sale from the Ukraine. Thanks very much tim i am going to keep looking in the hope that i can get an authentic watch in that style/era.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quite apart from anything else, the inscription lacks two Umlaute (it should actually read "Ausführung für U-Boote"!).

Oversized wrist watches with small second hands at 9:00 with lavish WWII references on the dial coming from the Ukraine are invariably fakes made from disused pocket watch movements whose cases have probably been molten down for scrap value. Maybe we ought to have a large script sticky for this to warn the uninitiated.....

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt and Space Noodle like this.

Thank you, from yourself and tim s advide i am going to leave this watch well alone, i dont honestly think the fella that bought it relises that it may be a fake, thanking you both for your time

Dear Behan,

This site shows you what a genuine WW2 German Military watch should look like, together with the known manufacturers of them...

Neue Seite 2

Whilst most watches of that type have "DH" stamped on the back for the Wehrmacht, if you want a watch that was used by the navy you should look out for ones stamped with "KM" or Kriegsmarine on the dial or case back. Although be careful as some unscrupulous vendors add "KM" to non military watches to make them more saleable as they are quite rare.

Specifically if you are after a "KM" watch this is the sort of thing you want to look out for...

Wagner WW2 German Kriegsmarine (KM) Watch

But as far as I know there were no watches that were issued specifically to U Boat crews.

A good source of info on German military watches can be found here......

GERMAN MILITARY WATCH FORUM - GERMAN MILITARY TIMEPIECES DISCUSSION FORUM

Good luck in your search!

regards

tim

Hi behan29,

Quote Originally Posted by behan29 View Post
    keep looking in the hope that i can get an authentic watch in that style/era.
    Sorry, impossible. You can either get the ugly style, and this is almost only available from Ukrainian locksmiths. Or you can get an authentic watch from that era, but it looks not even similar. You can't have both style + era.

Take the movement off a cheap Molnja pocket watch, look for a fitting case, bury both a couple of days in your garden (don't forget to mark the place), and paint the dial after your preference - ready.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Aside from the dodgy graphics, why would any military watch have black hands on a black-dialed watch? Pretty funny to pass this off as genuine
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

This is no authentic watch. There was no special watch for the submariners of the "Kriegsmarine".

The watches of the german navy were marked mostly marked with "KM" on the dial side and a 123456 number on the back side.

Case? Steel or chromatic.
    Case Back? Pressed or screwed.
    Dial? Only bright, never seen a black dial and second on the "6".
    Lugs? Fixed lugs 16 mm and hardly to find some 18 mm
    Size? 29 to 35 mm

The shown watch is worth nothing, sorry for the hard words. By the way it is no problem to print a dial with a regular ink printer, I guess even in the eastern part of europe. Print, cut out and glue it on a dial - ready is the Wehrmacht watch.

Roland, your are absolutely right. The same procedure is with die cast Wehrmacht belt buckles. Dig them three month until they rust and sell them in the electronicl bay as worn, authentic and what ever else.

Brgds Felix
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by EDNX; December 3rd, 2011 at 19:25.
    busmatt likes this.
    SMS Viribus Unitis

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    Aside from the dodgy graphics, why would any military watch have black hands on a black-dialed watch? Pretty funny to pass this off as genuine
    You're not wrong there, the black hands on a black dial is ridiculous, I don't know how those poor submariners
    managed to tell the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information