Authentic H. Moser wristwatch - Looking for details and an original mechanism.

Thread: Authentic H. Moser wristwatch - Looking for details and an original mechanism.

Question Authentic H. Moser wristwatch - Looking for details and an original mechanism.

I inherited a beatiful 22-karat gold wristwatch with a sterling silver faceplate made by H. Moser co. from my father who passed away a few years ago, who in turn has inherited it from my grandfather who supposedly acquired it in Russia at the end of XIX or the beginning of XX century. I got no idea what is the name of this model or what it's value is today, can anyone help or point me in the right direction here? In any case, I'd like to wear it as it's both a family relic and a very elegant timepiece. The only problem is that original Moser's mechanism was lost, eg. replaced by my father many years ago by some crude mechanism from a soviet-made watch. Could anyone help me find out if I could find the original mechanism and who, if anyone, still maybe willing to sell me the original mechanism (even if it's broken)...
    Pictures attached...apologize for the quality of the pics.

Appreciate any help anyone could provide.

Thank you, Alex G.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Alexgr; September 24th, 2012 at 00:57. Reason: clearer pic

Re: Authentic H. Moser wristwatch - Looking for details and an original mechanism.

We'll need clearer pictures to be of any help...

Re: Authentic H. Moser wristwatch - Looking for details and an original mechanism.

Pictures are not clear but looks like the one here in the link from our Ukrainian friends re-made dial and case, could give an idea and a ref point to start, just yours doesnt have the subseconds and looks original: Mens GORGEOUS 1910's Hy MOSER SCHAFFHAUSEN Vintage TONNEAU ART DeCo DRESS Watch | eBay

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First of all, this is probably a 14K gold Russian-made case. Hallmarks inside the case would help. 583 or 585 is 14k. Secondly, the original H.Moser movement was manufactured for a hunter pendant watch, likely 12 or 13 ligne, with pin set. After the revolution in 1917, Moser assets were confiscated by Bolsheviks. Cases and dials were manufactured locally by so called "arteli" (small workshops), who used original Swiss movements. The style was usually borrowed from tonneau shaped watches manufactured in Switzerland for the Russian market ca. 1915.
    I don't believe that this dial/case combination was manufactured by H.Moser, thus, there is no point in trying to locate an "original" movement.
    You could replace a crude Soviet movement with a generic Swiss-made, but it won't be a Henry Moser. Moser never recovered from the loss of Russian market, and ended up being re-sold a few times. The new resurrected Moser has nothing to do with the old Henry Moser.
    Hope this helps.

Name:  IMG_5512.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  97.3 KB

Thanks for the response. I was able to get a clearer picture. There is a pin seet opening next to the winding knob, but pin itself is missing. Anyway, please see if this pic below is any better.

Thread Information