Authentic Ulysse Nardin?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Authentic Ulysse Nardin?

Authentic Ulysse Nardin?

HTML Code:
    Just came across this vintage Ulysse Nardin, thinking of getting it but some things throw me off about it:1) The Logo: To my knowledge the Ulysse Nardin logo includes a ship's anchor, this particular model does not have the anchor; was there a logo change recently?2) The caseback: has no logo, symbol or insignia.3) It is described as having an unsigned crown.Are these all red flags, or is it possible that the crown and caseback are simply not original?
    Name:  UlyseNardin1.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  65.1 KBName:  UlyseNardin3.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  48.0 KBName:  UlyseNardin2.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  62.8 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Authentic Ulysse Nardin?

Welcome to the forum. What worries me most about that movement is the stained bridges contrasting with the shiny balance cock! Sort of suggests that the two came from different sources (i.e. frankenized!).

I can't identify the movement offhand but will give it a more intensive search tomorrow if noone has beaten me to it by then (it is close to midnight and I am dead tired for the day after swimming with the family). Ulysse Nardin for the most part used other makers' movements in those days so that is not unusual. The crown may well be generic since original crowns often get lost and have to be replaced. The dial looks almost pristine and is likely a redial. Which then raises the question as to whether the engraved "Ulysse Nardin" on the movement is valid. All in all, it could be genuine but there are enough question marks on it to cause me to reject it if it was my choice.

Hartmut Richter
    Rose likes this.

Hi blubarry,

the movement is an Arogno 260:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Arogno 260

This is a pretty cheap rocker-bar design, with a fake winding gear to make it look more valuable. It is hard to believe that Ulysse Nardin ever applied such ridiculous movements.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you very much for your help Roland and Hartmut!

I am definitely going to pass on the watch! A good friend of mine once told me (after looking at a Chinese version of the Navitimer) "if you buy cheap, you will feel cheap"

But then we went on a shopping spree to the dollar store!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi blubarry,

the movement is an Arogno 260:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Arogno 260

This is a pretty cheap rocker-bar design, with a fake winding gear to make it look more valuable. It is hard to believe that Ulysse Nardin ever applied such ridiculous movements.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

hi all,
    i too have a u.n. watch of dubious pedigree. the repainted face is signed ulysse nardin, as is the inside case cover which is stamped with the logo above the words swiss made. the outside cover is stamped stainless steel above swiss made and the #0151.
    the movement is unsigned, has no serial number and has no caliber stamp.
    there is, however, a stamp upon the movement which appears to be either a maltese cross with rounded edges and an S in the center, or, a stemless four leafed clover with an S in the center. i have photographs which i'll post as soon as i figure out how to post them. any help on the movement will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I am almost certain that the movement is an Adolf Schild calibre, something like the AS 1230 which also has a pointer date. I am not sure whether UN used this calibre or any Adolf Schild calibres at all but I would think that they would sign them. Is there a US import code (three letters) next to the winding stem? If so, what is it?

On the whole, this watch does not convince me either, at least not at first sight. Sorry. The link is for the AS 1230 but shows an AS 1200 so the bridge layout is slightly different.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1230

Hartmut Richter

thanks h r,
    absent caliber, serial #'s and signature i too doubt it's authenticity.
    there are no import codes like the vxn or gxn.
    it will surely be the last time i buy a watch from argentina on ebay.
    i've come to learn, too late, of the frankenwatches coming from there.
    thanks again.

Thread Information