Authenticity of this longines watch?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Authenticity of this longines watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Authenticity of this longines watch?

Hi all,

i have posted this exact question on the longines forum a few days ago, and I have had no responses. It appears the longines forum is either really quiet or the experts are too busy to respond. In any case I now turn to the general forum for some opinions/feedback and advice. Below is the original post:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,
    Can anyone shed some light into this watch and the 284 movement it has.
    It looks pretty good in my opinion (and inexperienced eye), but are there any pitfalls to this watch that I should be aware of?

Vintage LONGINES 284 17 Jewels Wrist Watch Swiss Made | eBay

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so the listing has ended, but just to educate us newbies and for future reference, anyone care to share any thoughts on the state of the case/dial/hands/caseback/movement condition etc?

Fake/genuine?
    Worth the money?

Re: Authenticity of this longines watch?

I don't think the watch is fake in the sense that someone re-named parts that came from a different company. It looks to be in reasonably good condition. The watch is a good quality time only 17 jewel hand wind. The paint used on the Longines logo and lettering strike me as being somewhat thin. The logo seems to be off-center. Additionally I would have expected painted pips to denote minutes between the 5 minute markers. Although the dial also shows radial finishing which might indicate it is original. So it may be a re-dial and may not. Hard to say too much for sure because the pictures are very poor quality.

If you like the style and are willing to pay for a servicing before wearing it then could be an attractive watch to wear imho.
    Last edited by John MS; February 5th, 2015 at 17:26.
    bk201 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I don't think the watch is fake in the sense that someone re-named parts that came from a different company. It looks to be in reasonably good condition. The watch is a good quality time only 17 jewel hand wind. The paint used on the Longines logo and lettering strike me as being somewhat thin. The logo seems to be off-center. Additionally I would have expected painted pips to denote minutes between the 5 minute markers. Although the dial also shows radial finishing which might indicate it is original. So it may be a re-dial and may not. Hard to say too much for sure because the pictures are very poor quality.

If you like the style and are willing to pay for a servicing before wearing it then could be an attractive watch to wear imho.
    Yeah, I imagine a servicing may be in need. The logo looks centered to me (matching the 12 marker and the pinions for the hands).
    I will send clear pictures when it arrives :)

Many thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage watches from Croatia by sellers with with only 116 feedback score who don't accept returns have a historically high number of satisfied buyers - the odds are in your favor!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Vintage watches from Croatia by sellers with with only 116 feedback score who don't accept returns have a historically high number of satisfied buyers - the odds are in your favor!
    Sorry I am confused. He does not accept returns so the odds are in my favour? How so?

Quote Originally Posted by bk201 View Post
    Sorry I am confused. He does not accept returns so the odds are in my favour? How so?
    I would assume the post in question was sarcastic in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by bk201 View Post
    I'm confused - you already bought the watch and you are asking for opinions after the fact. It's a nice looking watch and I hope all goes well.

But out of curiosity - were you worried by the fact that that it's coming from Croatia? (I think that location would at least raise an eyebrow from most) That he doesn't accept returns (why not? What if there IS a problem?)? So few sales? (most of us prefer to deal with established sellers with good credentials.Think about the reason why)
    At least his 50 odd selling feed backs appear positive and his pictures are clear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

South America. Is like America, but South.

Croatia was a nice country the last time i heard of it. Or was it Slovenia?
    Omega Seamaster 2223.80
    Frederique Constant Classics 303SN5B6
    Movado Series 800 2600115
    Tissot T-Classic T.065.430.16.031.00
    Casio G-Shock G1100BD-1A
    Watch collection improving . Watch box looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    I'm confused - you already bought the watch and you are asking for opinions after the fact. It's a nice looking watch and I hope all goes well.

But out of curiosity - were you worried by the fact that that it's coming from Croatia? (I think that location would at least raise an eyebrow from most) That he doesn't accept returns (why not? What if there IS a problem?)? So few sales? (most of us prefer to deal with established sellers with good credentials.Think about the reason why)
    At least his 50 odd selling feed backs appear positive and his pictures are clear.
    Yes, because of ebay seller protection. The seller may not accept returns (which is fine because returns are for when the buyer changes their mind), but ebay seller protection applies to items that are not as described or grossly misrepresented. The seller has listed the item, (1) in the title, (2) the description and (3) the item specifics (thats 3 times) as longines (also in the description states "everything is original") - if it is not genuine, I have a chance of getting my money back, regardless of whether they accept returns.

I have had no dealings with Croatia, my current worry hotspots are thailand and india. Depending on how this transaction goes, Croatia may join that list. I would agree with the last point you make, his feedback seems all positive and he seems to know a bit about watches, so is able to open them, take clear photos and describe movements and calibres. Also he has other watches listed, non that look like obvious redials or fakes/frankens - so I took a gamble, but a pretty safe one.

But I appreciate everyone who provided feedback on the watch. I bought it because it was eye pleasing to me and I am glad that no one has so far shouted that it is an obvious fake or I have been ripped off.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Starting bid at US $255.00 is............hmmm.............ambitious.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information