Authenticity of this Vintage Oyster Perpetual
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Authenticity of this Vintage Oyster Perpetual

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Authenticity of this Vintage Oyster Perpetual

Hi all,

I am looking at this '50s Oyster Perpetual and would like some input from those who know more then I. Does this dial look legit? Is that patina around the indeces or glue from them being reapplied? Shouldn't there be some wording along the lines of "officially certified chronometer" on the bottom half of the dial? Any other input?

Thanks in advance

Name:  Screenshot_20181110-064528~2.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  259.8 KB

Re: Authenticity of this Vintage Oyster Perpetual

Please post photos of the reference and serial numbers from between the lugs. Not all dials had the "officially certified chronometer" text. In my opinion, whether it is correct or not, the dial is just plain unattractive, so if you are considering purchasing this, you should think twice.
    Last edited by badbackdan; November 10th, 2018 at 15:47.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Looks like someone spilled some glue around the markers...
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

On my opinion it is not a glue. Rather traces of moisture damage.
    Second hand looks incorrect as on me.
    Vintage Zodiac addict.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Please post photos of the reference and serial numbers from between the lugs. Not all dials had the "officially certified chronometer" text. In my opinion, whether it is correct or not, the dial is just plain unattractive, so if you are considering purchasing this, you should think twice.
    Thank you for your reply. There were no pics of the serial number between the lugs, I will requested them though. I agree, the dial is a bit blah but the price seems quite reasonable (he's asking $985). Here are a few more images.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13629709[/ATTACH

]Name:  Screenshot_20181110-085921~2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  307.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

What about the reference number between the 12 o'clock lugs? Or did the seller mention the reference? There is bad damage to the dial from some sort of moisture (could be glue), and I'm wondering if there should be radium dots outside the applied markers, since many of them appear to have round indentations. Maybe not, since the hands are un-lumed, but it would be good to find another example of this specific reference.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Hi there,

always amazing that people consider to buy a watch for what $$$ ever without seeing the movement, especially when the dial feeds the suspicion that the movement is a rusty cadaver.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Border-Reiver and busmatt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

always amazing that people consider to buy a watch for what $$$ ever without seeing the movement, especially when the dial feeds the suspicion that the movement is a rusty cadaver.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Well, I was a little shy so far to come forward with my opinion, but what the heck: This dial gives me the impression that the watch was put aside during an exhumation. I wouldn't wear such a watch (nor collect it) even if someone would pay me for it. And yes, a look at the movement would be essential before spending any money.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; November 10th, 2018 at 22:11.
    busmatt likes this.

In my opinion, the dial is original but very harshly cleaned. My guess is that the areas around the markers are not glue and not necessarily moisture damage. It looks like there was a chemical reaction between whatever was used to clean the dial and the metal in the markers. Not a good look.

The hands (all of them) are likely correct as is the crown. I can't comment on the bracelet, there are no pictures of the inside of the clasp.

I would not be spending that kind of money without looking at the movement, if only to make sure it is the correct caliber for the case reference.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    YuriyV and jenya79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    In my opinion, the dial is original but very harshly cleaned. My guess is that the areas around the markers are not glue and not necessarily moisture damage. It looks like there was a chemical reaction between whatever was used to clean the dial and the metal in the markers. Not a good look.

The hands (all of them) are likely correct as is the crown. I can't comment on the bracelet, there are no pictures of the inside of the clasp.

I would not be spending that kind of money without looking at the movement, if only to make sure it is the correct caliber for the case reference.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Thank you very much for your detailed response. I did ask for a picture of the movement and serial numbers and was waiting on those when I started this thread. I primarily wanted a knowledgeable opinion on what that "aging" on the dial was. Obviously I was somewhat reluctant.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information