B. W. Raymonds

Thread: B. W. Raymonds

B. W. Raymonds

I'm trying to choose between three Elgin B. W. Raymonds. One of them, reportedly made in 1940, has a small star under the Elgin name on the face, the other two don't have the star (1923 &1924), what is the significance of the star? I realize the first three considerations are condition, condition and condition. Assuming all three are in similar condition, which of the three is the most desirable from a collector's standpoint?

Yes, I'm still waiting for my copy of Shubart's "Complete Guide..................... and just starting to build my horologic library so I'm sort of fumbling around in the dark at the present time and would greatly appreciate any help you more knowledgeable folks can give.

Re: B. W. Raymonds

Quote Originally Posted by makah View Post
    I'm trying to choose between three Elgin B. W. Raymonds. One of them, reportedly made in 1940, has a small star under the Elgin name on the face, the other two don't have the star (1923 &1924), what is the significance of the star? I realize the first three considerations are condition, condition and condition. Assuming all three are in similar condition, which of the three is the most desirable from a collector's standpoint?
    While Ray is having fun in Alaska we are left to embarrass ourselves... Shugart only shows the star in dial examples of 3 watches from the 1950s. So it may indicate something about the date??!? Ray can pick up on this one in a week or so.

I don't know about all collectors but for me, all things being equal, I tend to favor the older watch. I love the thought that I am caring for something that was cared for by others for such a long time...

For example, the Omega Dr. Ranfft was asking about several days ago... that watch has had owners who gave it great treatment for over 100 years... being in a line of caring owners 100 years long is more of a privilege than one only 50 years long.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thank you for the info Eeeb. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the older watch desirability. I've just started and my first pocket watch purchased is an 1888 Elgin. My second watch, which is still enroute, is an 1868 E. Howard. The collectability question only came up because all three of the B. W. Raymonds I'm considering are of more "modern" vintage and they're in about the same condition so I'm wondering if there's something that makes one more desirable than the others. I've been smitten by the bug and refuse to wait until I get some research done before buying some of the beautiful pieces of workmanship that are out there.

Thanks again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you go to elginwatches.org you will find the most information available about Elgin watches.

The "Star" design for Elgin dials was copyrighted in 1933. To the best of my knowledge it referred to the fact that Elgin had its own astronomical observatory that was used to set the large precision pendulum clocks used as reference for checking timing of pocket and wrist watches.

Any B. W. Raymond in good condition and properly adjusted is going to be an excellent timekeeper, able to keep or exceed railroad standard requirements (30 sec/week).

Thanks Ron. I'm scratching my head about which B. W. Raymond to buy. Maybe the site you mentioned will make my decision easier.

Thread Information