WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Bad paintjob on a 1950 Tissot Pointer?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  JohnF 
#1 ·
Hello!
I came around this Tissot Pointer (1950 probably) on a Swedish auction site, looking nice except the numbers and hands. Could the colour on the numbers and hands be original or is it more likely to be bad paintjob?

See less See more
#2 ·
That's the first Tissot pointer I've seen. Its a very nice watch. But I think you are correct - bad paint job. There are one or two Tissot lovers in here that might just have another for comparison.

Here's one pinched from a dealer's site:

Attachments

#3 ·
It looks like a bad paint job to me. The hands I believe are incorrect. I have a Tissot Pointer Date at home and the hands are similar to the picture posted by Marrick and the dial is to dark. I believe it's a bad refinish.

#7 ·
Well we don't do valuations. But the one in the picture I posted is on sale for just under £1000 - not that that is a definitive value. So I suppose its a matter of what you would do with it if you bought it.

#10 ·
I am guessing they are guilded under that modern paint. I would buy it for 50 euros like a shot and have a go at redeeming the hands. They also look like they would take lume, which they currently do not have. Odd thing to do to a fundementally wonderful watch.

I don't know if the dial was originally available in that colour, seems in rather suspiciously good condition.

#11 ·
For reference, the hands on this one of mine have not been repainted... I am not so sure about the dial, however.

#13 ·
I must have posted it previously as it was already on my Photobucket account and I remember discussing the calibre with Dr. Ranfft. (I tend to remember exchanges with him as they are so rich with information :).)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.