Bailey Banks & Biddle co. vintage pocketwatch
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Bailey Banks & Biddle co. vintage pocketwatch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bailey Banks & Biddle co. vintage pocketwatch

Can anyone tell me any information they might know on a timepiece such as this? Its 15 jewel movement . Movement: 2074308. Case: 1916501
    Bailey Banks & Biddle co. A company, I think from Philadelphia...I would love to know the year of this piece & perhaps someone guess of value?

Re: Bailey Banks & Biddle co. vintage pocketwatch

No valuations done here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbedceltic View Post
    Can anyone tell me any information they might know on a timepiece such as this? Its 15 jewel movement . Movement: 2074308. Case: 1916501
    Bailey Banks & Biddle co. A company, I think from Philadelphia...I would love to know the year of this piece & perhaps someone guess of value?
    With such detailed description, we can evaluate a watch to $347.87. If watch had been Bailey Banks & Biddle ans Son we could have increased that by 11.28%

Come ON we need photos!!!
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; November 25th, 2015 at 05:13.
    busmatt and marks55 like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The actual manufacturer can be Longines, Agassiz, Meylan, even Vacheron or Patek.
    Manufacturer name and item quality and contition are the most essential factors of value.
    We could help, but it is important to see some clear photos of dial and movement.
    Last edited by german; November 25th, 2015 at 05:33.
    busmatt likes this.
    Watchmaking underground
    German Polosin

Quote Originally Posted by german View Post
    The actual manufacturer can be Longines, Agassiz, Meylan, even Vacheron or Patek.
    We could help, but it is essential to see some clear photos of dial and movement.
    pretty sure it's Longines.
    busmatt likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    pretty sure it's Longines.
    I've seen a little bit of everything in thier watches, from Longines to Elgin. There's simply no telling without a movement picture.
    busmatt likes this.

I once had some folks bring in a B.B.& B. Co. pocket watch into the NAWCC Research Library for ID, they had no idea about it other than it had been in the family for a generation or two. I looked it over, checked a few references and informed them that they possessed a repeater with a Patek movement. WE NEED PHOTOS!

My Geonberg watch analyser is struggling to pin things down, as B.B.&B.Co. has mutated too often to get a frim grip on them.

They started as Bailey & Kitchen (but did not sell kitchen furniture) in 1832. 1841, the decided it was time for a new name, which was chosen as Bailey & Co. and 37 years later, they made it Bailey Banks & Biddle, as we know them today. As the Great Seal of the United States needed an update, Bailey Banks & Biddle was asked to make a new design, which is still the offical version today. Based on this success, they made lots of military medals in the upper categories like the Medal of Honor, the Silver and Bronce Star (unfortunately not the Gold Star) and the Purple Heart. How the watches fit in here, is difficult to say.

The Zale Corporation took over B.B.&B. in 1962 and opened many B.B.&B. stores. What these store were selling is unclear at first, but it appears that they sold jewelry and watches, because when these stores were sold to Finlay Enterprises after bankruptcy in 2009, the subject of this sale was a chain of 65 jewelry stores. Ownership was then changed again in 2010.

The B.B.&B. factory building (whatever was produced there besides military medals) was converted into an office building.

So it appears, that B.B.&B. was selling watches at a certain stage of their history and had their name printed on the dial. Movement no. 2074308 and case no. 1916501 do neither lead to the maker of the movement, nor the material of the case, not the maker of the entire watch. As the state of this watch is also unknown, I think I do not violate forum rules (no valuations) saying that the value must be above $ 0,00.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; November 25th, 2015 at 20:07.
    busmatt and marks55 like this.

If Longines, then the serial dates it to 1907. Whether it's a Longines or anything else, I don't know, I don't have a 6th sense. Nor a crystal ball.
    eri231 likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Me neither, I was being sarcastic
    We can tell nothing, and I am surprised so much has been responded!
    busmatt likes this.

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information