Are bananas radioactive?
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Are bananas radioactive?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Are bananas radioactive?

There have been some controversial discussions lately and before here in the vintage forum, about the dangers of wearing (or even worse, working on) watches with dials containing radioactive luminous paint.

Some of the lesser concerned pointed out, that even bananas are radioactive, thus forgetting, that they only contain naturally occurring radioactive material in the form of potassium-40. Exposure to this kind of radiation is approximately 1% of the average daily exposure to general radiation, officially defined as BED, or 100 BED (Banana Equivalent Doses). In the case of those watch dials, we talk about radium (radium-226), with a horrible half live period of over 1600 years.

That all reminds me of an incident in the UK some time ago. During a traffic control, carried out in connection with illegal transports of radioactive material, a bus trigged an alarm passing a control barrier in a market town in the county of Norfolk. To make a long story short, it was soon discovered that it was the bus driver (coincidentally not at all unknown to this forum) wearing one of his many vintage wrist watches.

Whatever, I have spared nor time nor effort to explore these things in more depth.

My video is now available on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/tH1CreR9mGQ
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; December 6th, 2015 at 22:12.

Re: Are bananas radioactive?

I am reminded of a Greek friend of mine who refused to eat (or be anywhere near!) her bag of potato chips after they'd gone through the airport X-Ray machine, because they'd "been subjected to X-Rays." I reminded her of the fact that we were just about to get into a metal tube being bombarded by X-Rays for the next few hours. Nevertheless, her son had told her not to and what mother, especially a Greek one, wouldn't believe her son over an outsider?

How is it that so many members of this forum have Geiger counters, anyway?
    Border-Reiver likes this.

You mean a Seamster 200?

;>)`
    Border-Reiver likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    There have been some controversial discussions lately and before here in the vintage forum, about the dangers of wearing (or even worse, working on) watches with dials containing radioactive luminous paint.

Some of the lesser concerned pointed out, that even bananas are radioactive, thus forgetting, that they only contain naturally occurring radioactive material in the form of potassium-40. Exposure to this kind of radiation is approximately 1% of the average daily exposure to general radiation, officially defined as BED, or 100 BED (Banana Equivalent Doses). In the case of those watch dials, we talk about radium (radium-226), with a horrible half live period of over 1600 years.

That all reminds me of an incident in the UK some time ago. During a traffic control, carried out in connection with illegal transports of radioactive material, a bus trigged an alarm passing a control barrier in a market town in the county of Norfolk. To make a long story short, it was soon discovered that it was the bus driver (coincidentally not at all unknown to this forum) wearing one of his many vintage wrist watches.

Whatever, I have spared nor time nor effort to explore these things in more depth.

The video is now available at YouTube:

https://youtu.be/tH1CreR9mGQ
    I'm denying all knowledge

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

NFN rules, I guess.

Things sure 'nuff are different Up North!

(For those not familiar with the story, it's supposed to be doctor's shorthand for observed odd behaviour as being "normal for Norfolk," or just "NFN.")
    Border-Reiver and busmatt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    NFN rules, I guess.

Things sure 'nuff are different Up North!

(For those not familiar with the story, it's supposed to be doctor's shorthand for observed odd behaviour as being "normal for Norfolk," or just "NFN.")
    Good for the 'old smoke' that NFL is already occupied by the National Football League...
    busmatt likes this.

There ain't nothin' normal down here. After 30 years captivity, I'm still unsure whether this is a good thing or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    Good for the 'old smoke' that NFL is already occupied by the National Football League...
    busmatt likes this.

Brazil nuts contain radium but we eat them with little or no effect so it's how much we ingest that makes it dangerous or not.

In many places people have radium in their drinking water and over time it will build up in the body as it takes the place of calcium in our bones and can leed to cancer but more or less all of it will pass through the body doing little or no harm.

Regards,

Are bananas radioactive?

Here's an artists impression of the Said event

Matt

Oh and Normal for Norfolk is a thing, it's usually used by furriners ( anyone not from Norfolk) to account for the fact we "Dew Diffrunt" round these parts

Here's a great website that'll explain more http://www.norfolkdialect.com/glossary.htm

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    Last edited by busmatt; December 6th, 2015 at 23:02.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information