Barr's > Heritage watch Co > Lucerne? Are they linked?

Thread: Barr's > Heritage watch Co > Lucerne? Are they linked?

Barr's > Heritage watch Co > Lucerne? Are they linked?

I picked up this old Barr's because I liked the look of it and upon inspection noticed that the 17J movement has Heritage watch Co inscribed upon the bridge -- private label perhaps? However, upon further inspection of the case cap, I noticed that that case cap has Lucerne inscribed upon it -- perhaps just a replacement cap that fit? For all I know, it could be a Frankenstein as the second hand doesn't appear to be original - the min/hour hand are blued steel, whereas the second hand is gold in color.

I'm curious if anyone is familiar with the aforementioned companies and if they've had joint ventures in the past or are one in the same.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kefka; April 4th, 2012 at 16:44.

Re: Barr's > Heritage watch Co > Lucerne? Are they linked?

Lucerne is a "collective" in Switzerland; my understanding is that the name is "open" for use by anyone who resides there. But every watch I've ever seen with the "Lucerne" label has been a pin-lever movement. The balance cock has "NOS" on it, which was means the movement (or the watch it rode in on) was imported into the U.S. Ranfft's Import Code page shows that as being linked to "Amida SA, Heritage, Defender" (Ranfft Watches, US Import Codes). Can't find any informationon "Barr's", but it sounds like a private label to me (small companies would frequently purchase batches of watches from larger watch companies and have their own dials put on them).

I'm guessing you're right about the caseback (or even the whole case) being a replacement.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Re: Barr's > Heritage watch Co > Lucerne? Are they linked?

Thank you, Rob for the response and the import code resource. I'm leaning more toward a franken rebuild on this one that includes case replacement, hands and perhaps dial. I'm thinking that the hands were replaced recently as their illumination is far to strong for a watch with any appreciable age.

Thread Information