Basic servicing question

Thread: Basic servicing question

Basic servicing question

I am just now starting to get some of the watches I have acquired or bought properly serviced. Actually they all run and keep anywhere from decent to excellent time. But I am also pretty sure that they have not been serviced in many years ...10 at least or likely many more years. Most are nice watches, ie solid gold vintage Hamiltons, a polerouter and a king Seiko. When I read some postings, it sounds like one should expect to pay 100 or less for a good servicing? In my area I have been quoted from 150 to 250. Perhaps fortunately the watchmaker I have the most faith in is the 150 guy. So can I get some consensus on what appropriate pricing might be and / or where I might send out for service? I am taking steps to learn to do this myself, but will take a while and I'm a bit of a chicken.

Thanks
    Giotime

Re: Basic servicing question

150 Argentine Peso is very reasonable to have your watch serviced.

Right off the bat, I'd expect the cost to service the hamilton to be much lower then the cost to service the polerouter. Prices usually scale based on the "complexity" of the piece, so a simple pocketwatch (for example) will be cheaper then an auto-wind with date complications. The polerouter is a micro rotor watch, and to get those to even work required the manufacturing precision to be a bit higher then a normal watch, since it needed a lighter mainspring. A watch like that needs a certain level of skill going into it if you don't want a paperweight when he's done.

Beyond that, it's very regional; we don't know where you are, so it's hard to say. $150usd isn't a bad price if the guy is good and the work guaranteed.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you AB, that is helpful. I am in Seattle area. The 150 price was for the Microtor, so that makes sense too. I do have confidence in this watchmaker. The 250 figure was for the Hamiltons, but these were shopping
    mall watch repair places.

ARe these hamilton pocket watches or wristwatches? Mall's tend to have higher prices because they're paying more in rent.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Hamilton wristwatches..movements 982, 754 and 770 ( also a 25 jewel micro rotor, but not considering that). The watchmaker I referred to did mention ( as you said) that the polerouter was a bit more complex and would cost more for that reason. So I could assume that his prices for the others would be less. I will ask him. The other places were also far less personal , people much younger ( experience? ), but did seem to indicate that for the Hamiltons, price would be at least 250 ( did not see watch- maybe assuming repairs needed too.

Thread Information