Basis Swiss watch not running properly

Thread: Basis Swiss watch not running properly

Basis Swiss watch not running properly

Hi I have just got a "basis de luxe" watch, and after winding It I have found it only runs for a few seconds then stops, if I tap it it starts then stops again. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what is likely to be causing it?
    It says "unbreakable mainspring" if that helps
    And I have wound it until I felt some resistance so I don't think it's the winding that's gone, but trying to remove the back just removes the entire movement and dial, so what would be the best way to get to the movement?
    Thanks
    Helier

Re: Basis Swiss watch not running properly

It probably just needs to be cleaned. I suspect that it's a fairly low-quality pin-lever watch; having it serviced will run you $50-$100 depending on where live (maybe more), plus any parts that need to be replaced. The movement should just lift out of the back, but they're usually fairly tight in there.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Yeah I have managed to get the movement out, having it serviced isn't worth it since it was a freebie with another watch, are there any nice cheap ways to clean off any of the crud in the movement?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If its not worth you have it serviced, esp being a pin movement just try it a few times more, if it as not been running for a while it may need to be run in a few times. They are ways of cleaning and oiling it yourself but by the time you spend on the items it wont be worth doing it yourself as it will be just as cheap to have it sent out to be serviced. So just try it a fair few times first.

Thread Information