Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

Thread: Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member Coldforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5

    Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

    Hey guys!
    I´m pretty new here and to the watch collecting thing. I recently bought a vintage Baume & mercier watch that i tought lseemed to be in very good condition for the age and price. Here is some pictures:



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Here is the details the seller provided me with:

    mechanic movement with 15 jewels
    Swiss made
    metal chrome case
    Case without crown 37 mm, lug to lug 45
    Black dial with arabic luminous numbers and white hands
    from around 1953

    anyone who kows more about this watch? I would really like to know some more, is it a military? is it a limited edition?'

    thankful for all inputs on this!

    thanks in advance! /sebastian
    My collection
    Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph

    Ask me for my ebay ID - 100% Feedback, other references avail. as well!

    All offers valid 24 hours unless other is stated

  2. #2
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,132

    Re: Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

    Without the watch in hand it is difficult to make definitive statements... but since when does that stop most of us??

    The watch is in very good condition for it's age (probably 60-70 years old) in part because the dial is probably new and not original. That is also why it went for a sub-normal price for a B&M.

    I assume the lume has a good glow to it - never a good sign on vintage.

    The main collectible factor on this watch is it's movement. But this is a movement house supplied movement so I suspect it is not rare.

    I hope this is not too much of a disappointment. One learns over time.

    But I am sure the watch is a good wear and will impress most.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  3. #3
    Zenith Forum Co-moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,999

    Re: Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

    The movement is an Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1130 ("Wehrmachtskaliber") derivative:

    bidfun-db AS_1130: AS 1130

    I must say that I would not consider the movement to be in particularly good condition, even taking its age into account - slight rusting here and there by the looks of it. Maybe that's why it went a little cheaper. Baume & Mercier never made their own movements AFAIK, they merely upgraded the better generic movements.

    Hartmut Richter

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Coldforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5

    Re: Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Without the watch in hand it is difficult to make definitive statements... but since when does that stop most of us??

    The watch is in very good condition for it's age (probably 60-70 years old) in part because the dial is probably new and not original. That is also why it went for a sub-normal price for a B&M.

    I assume the lume has a good glow to it - never a good sign on vintage.

    The main collectible factor on this watch is it's movement. But this is a movement house supplied movement so I suspect it is not rare.

    I hope this is not too much of a disappointment. One learns over time.

    But I am sure the watch is a good wear and will impress most.

    Thanks a lot! highly appreciated! The seller claimed taht all parts of the watch was original and that the dial is the original one, but who knows :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The movement is an Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1130 ("Wehrmachtskaliber") derivative:

    bidfun-db AS_1130: AS 1130

    I must say that I would not consider the movement to be in particularly good condition, even taking its age into account - slight rusting here and there by the looks of it. Maybe that's why it went a little cheaper. Baume & Mercier never made their own movements AFAIK, they merely upgraded the better generic movements.

    Hartmut Richter
    thanks! yes there is some small rust dots on it but it is running perfectly well, i had a hard time find any inof aobut this but u got the movement right immediately , damn there are some really nice people in here! You are really good at what you do so thanks for sharing!

    Any other opinions on this watch? did i overpay at 265 USD?
    My collection
    Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph

    Ask me for my ebay ID - 100% Feedback, other references avail. as well!

    All offers valid 24 hours unless other is stated

  6. #5
    Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    5,372

    Re: Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

    Quote Originally Posted by Coldforce View Post
    Thanks a lot! highly appreciated! The seller claimed taht all parts of the watch was original and that the dial is the original one, but who knows :)



    thanks! yes there is some small rust dots on it but it is running perfectly well, i had a hard time find any inof aobut this but u got the movement right immediately , damn there are some really nice people in here! You are really good at what you do so thanks for sharing!

    Any other opinions on this watch? did i overpay at 265 USD?
    Unfortunately, you over paid for this watch. I have done that once or twice myself. You will learn how to spot these things more easily the longer you collect. If the watch runs well and you enjoy it, than I wouldn't dwell on having over paid.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

    -- John Maynard Keynes

  7. #6
    Member Coldforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5

    Re: Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

    Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    Unfortunately, you over paid for this watch. I have done that once or twice myself. You will learn how to spot these things more easily the longer you collect. If the watch runs well and you enjoy it, than I wouldn't dwell on having over paid.
    thanks a lot for your input! am i far away from a price worth to pay? just curious (not considering the "wear" factor ) :)
    My collection
    Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph

    Ask me for my ebay ID - 100% Feedback, other references avail. as well!

    All offers valid 24 hours unless other is stated

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wegberg, Germany
    Posts
    3,645

    Re: Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

    Hi Coldforce,

    sorry, the bad message first: You payed 265 bucks too much. It is a
    typical Mumbai watch: Rusty movement, corroded case, painted hands
    (to cover rust), repainted dial. These dials are usually fairly made, but as
    usual far from original. These people simply print what sells best: Thus always
    black, by preference military style, and with the same pattern for all brands.

    But there is also a good message: Learning the hard way is almost never free
    of charge. And if you are lucky the watch is still suitable for daily use.

    Regards, Roland Ranfft

  9. #8
    Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    5,372

    Re: Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

    Quote Originally Posted by Coldforce View Post
    thanks a lot for your input! am i far away from a price worth to pay? just curious (not considering the "wear" factor ) :)
    Unfortunately, as Herr Ranfft has stated you have overpaid by the amount spent on the watch. You have learned one of the most important points when buying vintage. Before placing a bid you must do your research, always visit the forum here and post questions if you have doubts. Second. you must buy the seller before the watch. There are three or four countries I tend to stay away from when buying vintage watches. The Ukraine, Bulgaria, India, and China have the largest sellers with frankenwatches from my experience. While this may not be true it has been in my experience. There are quite a few posts in the forum here dealing with buying vintage. I would suggest giving those a read if you haven't already.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

    -- John Maynard Keynes

  10. #9
    Member Coldforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5

    Re: Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

    Thanks a lot guys! I guess you got to learn the hard way :) im very thankful for your inputs on this tho, i will be more careful next time....

    are you sure it is fake? or could it be legit? here is the ebay auction link: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

    please if u can tell me 100% that it is fake, do that! otherwise perhaps i could keep a little hope alive hehehe

    thanks in advance!

    Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    Unfortunately, as Herr Ranfft has stated you have overpaid by the amount spent on the watch. You have learned one of the most important points when buying vintage. Before placing a bid you must do your research, always visit the forum here and post questions if you have doubts. Second. you must buy the seller before the watch. There are three or four countries I tend to stay away from when buying vintage watches. The Ukraine, Bulgaria, India, and China have the largest sellers with frankenwatches from my experience. While this may not be true it has been in my experience. There are quite a few posts in the forum here dealing with buying vintage. I would suggest giving those a read if you haven't already.
    My collection
    Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph

    Ask me for my ebay ID - 100% Feedback, other references avail. as well!

    All offers valid 24 hours unless other is stated

  11. #10
    Member Outta Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Port Colborne, Ontario
    Posts
    846

    Re: Baume et Mercier watch from 1953, trying to find some info

    Fake isn't quite the right word. Cobbled together, possibly, making it a Frankenwatch, or perhaps someone just repainted the hands and dial. The movement may or may not be alright, that would be the major concern. I would get it serviced or checked out right away, don't start using it, as there could be corrosion issues inside. Perhaps a good clean and lube is all it needs. What it isn't, is 100% original untouched.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •