Baume & Mercier?

Thread: Baume & Mercier?

Baume & Mercier?

Hello All,
    Found this today and wondered what you thoughts are.
    The mechanism has 1100 marked on it beneath the balance.
    Genuine?
    Age?
    Many Thanks,
    Name:  IMG_2890.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  173.6 KBName:  IMG_2888.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  197.8 KBName:  IMG_2892.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  204.5 KBName:  IMG_2893.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  202.1 KB

Re: Baume & Mercier?

Movement looks like an ETA 1100, hands and dial give the watch away as an early to mid 1950s' piece. The case looks to be all steel (which would speak for an expensive watch back then), but I cannot say for sure: check the lug edges for wear - if there is a different material underneath the case is only chromed (which was cheaper back then.) What would be funny is that B&M would use the ETA 1100 in its lowest-jewelled variant - according to Roland it was available with 15, 17, 18 or 21 jewels. (A higher jewel count does not necessarily make a movement better, but 17 was actually middle class standard in the 1950s.)

I'm a bit unhappy with the dial which looks like someone has brushed it up a bit. A genuine one (to my opinion) is showing on this watch which fits about the same time period - late 40s/early 50s.

I'm no expert, but the People at B&M are. According to the only reply in this thread they are quite responsive. Turn to them with the serial number from the case back and see what they reply. Good luck!

Best,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Thread Information