Baume or not a Baume
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Baume or not a Baume

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture Baume or not a Baume

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am a member of other forums to do with wet shaving and razor collections.

My father recently gave me his Hamilton retirement watch from Armco and I had it restored. Love wearing it. It's the Electronic one not the Electric. Also have his old Timex Electronic and plan to soon have it restored. Recently bought a Mido Multifort just like the one he wore in the late fifties and plan to have that restored as well. So my collection is starting from sentimental roots.

I also have an Automatic Olma with a rather tatty dial, but it runs great. Not sure yet which way my tastes will go. Wait and see.

I have a question though. Today I bought a watch on E-bay in the UK that looks pretty. (Keep in mind I am ignorant but that does not always hurt particularly when you don't spend much. I once bought a razor off ebay france for about $25 and sold in on for about $600.) I don't plan to sell this watch but I would like to know any history anyone know about it.

It is labeled Baume... not B & M. I know they were Baume prior to 1918 but when I google the B word nothing comes up other that B&M. Have I wasted $12 on this watch which supposedly works or did my wife (eventual recipient) get lucky? Hope to hear from someone. Thanks. Cant seem to upload an image. Will try that later.
    Last edited by Eeeb; June 3rd, 2013 at 22:40. Reason: Added paragraphs for readability

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Baume or not a Baume

Welcome to the Vintage forum. I am afraid that we won't be able to say much without pictures of the watch, especially the movement in this case. Baume of B&M had some connection with Longines as well but I think that there were other Baumes not related to either Longines or B&M so a good look at your watch is important.

Hartmut Richter

I think that "Baume" is a separate company but I am SURE someone here will know for sure

The Hamilton is a Collection Cornerstone! Sentimental roots are a firm foundation. Enjoy! ... and welcome!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  Baume & Mercier.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  7.3 KB
    Well on this occasion I was able to upload a picture. Any ideas. I does say swiss made and 17 jewels I think. It looks at the least as though it could be Gold Rolled or plated but won't know for sure til I get it. Next time I'll post a pic of my Hamilton Armco presentation watch that was given to my father for 30 years service to the company when he retired.

Hi and Welcome!

Sound like you have great start to a vintage collection... run whilst you still can!!

to make it easier:

I dont really know about the watch... for the price you paid, you cant go too far wrong. The hands look like replacements... but it should clean up ok! The description does not give a glowing report on the the running of the watch, so the service cost may outway the actual 'value' of the watch... but that is something you will need to decide when it arrives.

Welcome to the world of vintage watch collecting!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Hi and Welcome
    Baume & Cie (company) La Chaux de Fonds.
    Company was founded in 1834
    in 1844 Baume Freres (brothers) opened an English branch, with name 'Baume Brothers' and then 'Baume & Co'
    in 1867 the London branch became marketing agent in England for the newly founded Longines.
    in 1920-1925 it advertised as Baume and Mercier
    in 1949 and advert listed the London firm agents for BAUME and Longines watches and ED. HEUER (now Tag-Heuer)
    Baume and Mercier were still listed in 1986.

I can add also from eminent Horologist David Boettcher

Arthur Baume
    This AB mark is the sponsor's mark registered at the assay office by Arthur Baume (1888 - 1923) Managing Director of Baume & Co.
    Baume & Company were the importer of Longines watches to the UK and all of the British Commonwealth, and also watch makers in their own right. Otherwise unmarked Logines watches from the early 20th century often bear the mark "B & Co." for Baume & Co. next to the movement calibre number under the balance wheel (Acknowledgement - David.b.Boettcher)

Its a nice watch - especially due to fact it was a gift to your father for long service. I guess it will need a service, but that should not cost so much.
    And yes I suspect gold plated - Regards Adam
    ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Kathleen Pritchard = Swiss Timekeepers
    David Boerrcher - Arthur Baume (info)
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; June 4th, 2013 at 09:58.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

The style of the watch says 50's or 60's to me; waaay too young to be associated with "Baume" of "Baume and Mercier". The text on the dial looks a little...rough... for a factory dial, frankly. I suspect you have a decent but simple and common watch from the heyday of mechanical watches.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

The London-based Baume used serifs on the A as in the ads below (at least sometimes) so I'm not sure:

Name:  Baume ad.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  37.3 KBName:  Baumead2.JPG
Views: 543
Size:  697.6 KB
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I just picked up a cheap Braume watch its marked Baume Shockabsorber 17 jewels on the face and the unknown movement is just marked Swiss 17 jewels and there is a number 67 under the balance wheel. Have no real idea as to the age and i would expect a full service would cost more then the watch is worth but it appears to be running Ok.

Name:  DSCF1895.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  152.0 KBName:  DSCF1903.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  87.1 KB

Any ideas on this watch or who made the movement would be nice
    thank you

baume shockabsorber 17 jewels

Hi - its an FHF from this family: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements : FHF 72-2

Very nice.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information