Beautiful 1930s Omega! Help me identify it
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan S
  • 1 Post By Conrador
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By Dan S

Thread: Beautiful 1930s Omega! Help me identify it

Beautiful 1930s Omega! Help me identify it

I just saw an AMAZING vintage Omega gold watch, and would love if some of you experts could help me try to validate its authenticity, which I am not too worried about since I found it in a well respected local store, and furthermore help me with some information on the watch, possible model name and time of production range.

This would love great on my wife's wrist, yet I need to learn more about it before I take the plunge. It is I would say 28mm or something like that. This would help me find some comparable models online and get a better position prior to heading back to the store. It says 1930 but I have not been able to find any information on it. They state this is 18k gold.

Thank you!

Last edited by Conrador; January 13th, 2018 at 22:51.

Re: Beautiful 1930s Omega! Help me identify it

Nice watch. I assume you know that the dial has been re-painted and the "4" marker has been re-installed backwards. 1930s is certainly plausible given the style. However, without photos of the movement and the inside of the case, I would have trouble giving more information.
    tinknocker likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

All i can say; it is a redial .

edit;; posted it at the same time as dan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Didn't know it was a redial. Is that 100% sure?
    I had seen the 4 yet now that I have blown up the pictures, seems that the 4 might not match the other numerals either? I assumed the 4 could have been re-installed.
    badbackdan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrador View Post
    I had seen the 4 yet now that I have blown up the pictures, seems that the 4 might not match the other numerals either? I assumed the 4 could have been re-installed.
    1000% sure. The font and logo are poorly painted - it's even hard to say that the font is incorrect for the 1930s, as it's a shoddy and blotchy brainchild of the "dial restorer" who did that butcher job.
    bsshog40 and bubba48 like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrador View Post
    Actually, you're correct. Not only is the "4" backwards, it is in a block font that doesn't match the rest of the Breguet numerals. Also, if you look closely, you will see that the "2" in "12" and the "2" by itself are installed in complete different orientations. Quite clearly the dial has been poorly restored.
    bubba48 likes this.

yikes. Too many variables to mess with this then.

They had some other models that I feel more confident with. Had a great condition 69 Navitimer that I will most likely go for it. This omega had just been purchased by them from a grandfather who traded it for money and jewelry for his wife. It was fresh off the lot :) Oh well, it will serve someone else well

You need to be very careful with the ref 806 Navitimers, like the "twin jets" model you are probably considering. Very few of them actually retain all of their original parts; many have various service parts and replacements, which greatly reduces the value. When you said that the Navitimer is in great condition it set off alarm bells for me. You may want to post photos again. If it's all original, that's fantastic, but it's not easy to tell unless you know exactly what to look for.

Edit: I would like to post a link to this previous thread where watchfred posted an incredibly informative response detailing many of the variants of the ref 806. Check out the final post on the first page of this thread. In particular, notice the size of the white subdials in the various models (e.g. small eyes, big eyes). This are often swapped out with later service dials that have the wrong size subdials.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/wor...r-3861018.html

Dan,

Thank you so much for the heads up.

I actually spent a few hours looking into the different models and comparing, and sent a PM to Fred asking for help just before reading your post. I hope to hear from him tomorrow.

Here are a few pictures. It all seems in order and seems to be a 1967-1970 big eye, twin plan logo Navi. I didn't get a chance to see the movement but of course, I would check prior to purchasing it. One of the things that I am not sure is if this is a relume or the tritium was not as accurately applied back in the day as they are nowadays (well superluminova but still)

I think it's an appealing watch overall. I am noticing a few things that are not deal-breakers if the price is right. Looking at the photos, the edges of the lugs appear to have been polished substantially, but you will be in a better position to judge this in person. Look at some of Fred's examples to see how sharp the edges of the lugs should be ideally. I think that the hands are either service replacements, or they have been re-lumed without making an effort to match the aged dial. I also think that the original pushers may have been replaced with longer pushers. But Fred will know for sure.

Thread Information