The beauty of vintage quartz - Longines L 970.2

Thread: The beauty of vintage quartz - Longines L 970.2

The beauty of vintage quartz - Longines L 970.2

Some of you folks poo poo quartz - sometimes I think just antagonize me

But I think you will appreciate this quartz movement. This was produced, evidently in house, by Longines in the late 70s or early 80s. The watch it is from is NOS and still has the hang tag with the $398 list price... This is from the era when the quartz watches were very high end pieces and sold at top of the line prices.

What preserved this one is it doesn't work. So it was never sold. But, having been one of their most expensive watches, they didn't want to throw it away. But they eventually let it loose and I fished it out of eBay last year.

Beautiful detail. Of movements I have seen, only Gerard-Perrigeaux and Piaget have made quartz movements this nice. Even the dial side is finished...

"Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Banned

Re: The beauty of vintage quartz - Longines L 970.2

Wow, nice find Jim. Do you know what is causing it not to work?

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Wow, nice find Jim. Do you know what is causing it not to work?
    I wish... it just spins the second hand round and round rapidly. It is unlikely but I might have the service documents in one of my quartz repair books.

The truth be know, I do not yet consider myself sufficiently skilled to tackle a movement as important as this one... and no one else who might be is interested in trying. So I will have to come back to this in a couple of years after I have ruined a number of watches and learned something...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I will have to come back to this in a couple of years after I have ruined a number of watches and learned something...
    I have a box of guinea pigs for you. I'll check what's in there. I bought it from Goodwill a couple years back as a lot because I thought I saw something interesting amidst the pile.

Thread Information