Beginning of a Vintage Collection
Like Tree397Likes

Thread: Beginning of a Vintage Collection

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Beginning of a Vintage Collection

Well, I recently started picking up some older watches here and there and it can definitely get addictive.
    I thought I'd make a common place to keep some of the pictures and info, so I'll begin.
    Not in chronological order, but my most "complete" pick-up so far:

1962 Bulova Jet Clipper

joeuk, Imni, Horoticus and 12 others like this.

Re: Beginning of a Vintage Collection

Nice find! Im a huge fan of that style of Bulova. I have a Sea King that is very similar

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    JP71624 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTimex View Post
    Nice find! Im a huge fan of that style of Bulova. I have a Sea King that is very similar

Thanks a bunch! That, roundabout, is probably one of my favorite styles, as well. Likely why I have several similar haha.
    Speaking of Sea Kings, I am in contact with a guy that has a '59 that just needs a new crystal. If I can find a NOS crystal, or at least a very nice replacement crystal, I'll probably pick it up.

I have a handful more to post that I just mainly need to get pictures of shortly.
    Looking at your username....I have a '59 Timex selfwind I love, keeps time well and all, but the weight is definitely loose inside. Does anyone still work on these things??
    Hopeful it doesn't just cut out on me soon......I'll try to post pictures of it soon, as well.
    Last edited by JP71624; June 4th, 2013 at 07:54.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats and yes can be addictive, very clean watch and bonus with the case and papers. It can be even more addictive when looking at other forum members watches.
    JP71624 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    Congrats and yes can be addictive, very clean watch and bonus with the case and papers. It can be even more addictive when looking at other forum members watches.
    Thanks, Joe! And you're right...I can only browse on here so long before my bank account empties out...haha.

Quote Originally Posted by JP71624 View Post
    Thanks a bunch! That, roundabout, is probably one of my favorite styles, as well. Likely why I have several similar haha.
    Speaking of Sea Kings, I am in contact with a guy that has a '59 that just needs a new crystal. If I can find a NOS crystal, or at least a very nice replacement crystal, I'll probably pick it up.

I have a handful more to post that I just mainly need to get pictures of shortly.
    Looking at your username....I have a '59 Timex selfwind I love, keeps time well and all, but the weight is definitely loose inside. Does anyone still work on these things??
    Hopeful it doesn't just cut out on me soon......I'll try to post pictures of it soon, as well.
    I believe a '59 sea kings crystal is of a plastic compostition which can just be buffed out. So you don't even need a new crystal. My Sea kings crystal was that way, just took it to a super soft buffing wheel with some extremly fine ruge and it looks brand new now.

As for the timex's, I do work on them a little bit. PM and we can talk more about that.

JP71624 likes this.

Nice find/start
    With box and papers always makes it more exciting.
    My advice to beginners is to stay focused on either a make, or a period or a complication.

Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Bulova, Longines, Lemania and Omega are great brands when starting a vintage collection imo. All of them where great back in the days and made really good stuff. They can also be picked up for reasonable prices today, with Omegas and Longines chronos being on the more expensive side.
    Ed Barclay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTimex View Post
    I believe a '59 sea kings crystal is of a plastic compostition which can just be buffed out. So you don't even need a new crystal. My Sea kings crystal was that way, just took it to a super soft buffing wheel with some extremly fine ruge and it looks brand new now.

As for the timex's, I do work on them a little bit. PM and we can talk more about that.

Well, the Sea King in question has a cracked crystal, but that is definitely good to know for my other watches!

And here shortly I will shoot you a PM about the Timex. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Nice find/start
    With box and papers always makes it more exciting.
    My advice to beginners is to stay focused on either a make, or a period or a complication.

Regards
    adam
    Thanks and I appreciate you posting the advice!
    Right now I've got an assortment, but, as you'll see, they are all in the 50s-60s range, mainly. Those, give or take a decade, tend to be my preferred styling.
    The only multiple I have of a brand is Bulova, so far, but that will change soon, I'm sure!

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information