The BEHEMOTH Size 12s Elgin "ADMIRAL EVANS" Trench Watch does in fact EXIST ! !
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: The BEHEMOTH Size 12s Elgin "ADMIRAL EVANS" Trench Watch does in fact EXIST ! !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The BEHEMOTH Size 12s Elgin "ADMIRAL EVANS" Trench Watch does in fact EXIST ! !

Hey guys!

After an EIGHT YEAR exhaustive search I can confirm that the "ADMIRAL EVANS" trench watch cases were in FACT made in the BEHEMOTH size 12s ! ! !

Just a few days ago I located one, secured it and it is now in my possession.

A few years ago I obtained and restored a "CROWN" size 12s trench watch, you guys might remember that one, the resto process was NOT an easy task to say the least.

But, you cannot put a size 12s Elgin, Waltham or an Illinois movement into a Philadelphia case that was made for the Crown Watch Company.

The "CROWN" size 12s is way different that the Elgin, Waltham or Illinois size 12s movements, it's like trying to put the round peg in the square hole, simply won't work.

On page 170 of my book "Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War" I discuss the behemoth size 12s trench watches..................

Specifically the size 12s trench watch cases that were by the Illinois Watch Case Company.

I knew that I had seen a size 12s Admiral Benson (square case) many years ago but at the time I did not think that it was real.

I thought that it was a "Ukraine Special" that never started out as a genuine trench watch that was actually made by the Illinois Watch Case Company.

No less than FOUR advertisements exist from the Illinois Watch Case Company stating that they did in FACT make size 12s trench watch cases.

The adverts state that the Admiral Evans, Admiral Benson and General Funston cases were available in sizes 12s down to sizes 3/0s and even some 6/0s.

But, the BEHEMOTH size 12s Admirals and Generals are pretty much impossible to come by.

When I told a few good friends that are SEASONED experts what I had obtained I think I heard their jaws hit the floor over the phone lines!

A SIZE 12s GOLD FILLED "ADMIRAL EVANS" TRENCH WATCH DOES IN FACT EXIST ! ! ! ! ! !

The 12s "Admiral Evans" case measures 53mm lug tip to lug tip, 43.5mm without the crown, with a 13mm lug diameter.

I have taken the watch completely apart and thoroughly inspected how the lugs were attached to the case center.

These lugs were in FACT attached at the IWCCo factory, the method used is IDENTICAL to all other IWCCo cases that use the lug style.

There are NO OTHER tooling marks and everything is EXACTLY as it should be for an Illinois Watch Case Company product.

I then took a VERY close look at the crown tube on the case to see if I could find ANY tooling marks that might indicate that the tube had been shortened for wrist watch use.

The crown tube is EXACTLY as it should be from the IWCCo factory and has NOT been modified!

With all of this being said I am officially certifying this size 12s "Admiral Evans" case as GENUINE ! ! !

I have ZERO doubts, it is in FACT the REAL DEAL and is 100% AUTHENTIC ! ! ! !

The movement on this 12s Elgin Admiral Evans Trench Watch is in very bad condition, somebody over the years swapped out the train bridge and the staff is broken.

This watch movement originally had 7 jewels, not 15 jewels, all of the serial number stamps except the train bridge start with "20" indicating 1917.

The train bridge has a serial number that is from 1919.

Now, the IWCCO cases were JOBBER cases so ANY Elgin, Waltham or Illinois movement would be 100% correct.

The movement that is currently in this watch will need to be replaced due to incorrect parts being swapped out over the years, I've already begun hunting for a suitable correct replacement.

I just happen to have a sterling silver swivel lug size 3/0s Waltham Admiral Evans here with me in the shop right now.

I pictured the NORMAL size 3/0s Admiral Evans next to the BEHEMOTH size 12s Admiral Evans to you can get a very good idea of the size difference.

The 12s Admiral Evans dwarfs the 3/0s Admiral Evans!

I have always hoped that one of the size 12s trench watch cases from the IWCCo would pop up one day...................

But honestly, I never dreamed in a million years that it would be an ADMIRAL EVANS ! ! ! ! ! !

ENJOY ! ! ! ! !

Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War"

Author of "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

www.facebook.com/WWITrenchWatch

Re: The BEHEMOTH Size 12s Elgin "ADMIRAL EVANS" Trench Watch does in fact EXIST ! !

I'm curious as to why you "titled" your thread the way you did???

Did someone say that there was "no way or possibility" that the watch you spent 8 years looking for couldn't possibly exist?

I guess all I could say is I guess persistence pays off.
    Literustyfan and busmatt like this.
    A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Re: The BEHEMOTH Size 12s Elgin "ADMIRAL EVANS" Trench Watch does in fact EXIST ! !

Very enjoyable and informative review of that Elgin "Behemoth". That watch was ahead of it's time size-wise.
    Literustyfan and busmatt like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by simpletreasures View Post
    I'm curious as to why you "titled" your thread the way you did???

Did someone say that there was "no way or possibility" that the watch you spent 8 years looking for couldn't possibly exist?

I guess all I could say is I guess persistence pays off.

There are many advertisements out there promoting watches that have never actually been seen before.

Sometimes I wondered if I was on a wild goose chase that lasted for years, but you are right...............persistence paid off in this instance.

There are still others out there that I am searching for, hopefully my luck will continue!
    busmatt and saxoo like this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Great find Stan.
    Looks like I found the correct ad around the same time you found the wat,h!
    Slight difference in the lugs, but the size looks correct, 1917 first posted on p.43 "early wrist watch articles" thread.

Name:  attachment-3.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  574.7 KB
    busmatt and QWatchQ like this.

Thanks Bobbee!

I completely forgot about that advert for awhile, it's on page 47 of my Elgin book.

That is pretty much the advert that got me hunting for the GIANT American trench watches.

Among the rarest indeed, if not THE rarest!

I have a TON of parts inbound right now, they will be arriving over the next few days.

I should have it back to splendor within a week or two.

I'll post more pics as I progress....................
    bobbee and busmatt like this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Don't you already have it for sale?

No, I did have a smaller size 3/0s Waltham Admiral Evans for sale but that one is already gone, in only 3 days.
    Mirius likes this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Very nicely done. I look forward to your write up on this one. I'm also still hoping that your next book is on case repair as this seems to be a very overlooked art.
    busmatt and Literustyfan like this.

There will be several "before & after" photographs in the Waltham book when it comes to case restoration, just like in the Elgin book.

In the Elgin book it was a dedicated chapter, in the Waltham book it is spread out and shown as I am discussing featured Waltham Trench Watches and their restoration.

We are still shooting for a Christmas time release of the Waltham book..................
    busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information