Benrus 17 Jewel Dial-O-Rama Movement...I think...

Thread: Benrus 17 Jewel Dial-O-Rama Movement...I think...

Benrus 17 Jewel Dial-O-Rama Movement...I think...

Hey everyone, I have what I think is a movement for the very sought after Dial-O-Rama wrist watch by Benrus.This has 17 Jewels and is model FG25. Can anyone verify that this is the actual movement for the Dial-O-Rama? Is the movement alone as sought after as the whole watch? Im hoping on finding the case for it, but wont hold my breath. I got it running...kind of... I have oiled it and it runs for about 10 minutes at a time before needing a quick shake to get it going again. Anywho, heres some pics, let me know what you all think.Thanks!

Flikr Link:

Benrus Dial-O-Rama - a set on Flickr

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Benrus 17 Jewel Dial-O-Rama Movement...I think...

Post moved to the more suitable forum.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Post moved to the more suitable forum.
    Thanks Mike, I appreciate it.
    -Nelson

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The font on the dials looks correct; is it a jump minute or wandering minute? Benrus sold a number of different direct read styles; i'm not sure off hand if "Dial-o-rama" refers to a specific model or the whole line. I'm a little concerned about your description of its function; I'd advise not to tinker with it too much until it can be properly serviced. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have finding a case/dial though.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    The font on the dials looks correct; is it a jump minute or wandering minute? Benrus sold a number of different direct read styles; i'm not sure off hand if "Dial-o-rama" refers to a specific model or the whole line. I'm a little concerned about your description of its function; I'd advise not to tinker with it too much until it can be properly serviced. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have finding a case/dial though.
    Hey AbslomRob, thanks for the response. It is actually a jump hour, from what I can tell. The hour dial "jumps" as soon as the minute gets to 60 as opposed to just slowly changing as it approaches the 60 min mark. I havent messed with it too much. I removed the dials, lightly cleaned it and oiled it. This is what got it going so i think its just "dry" of oil. Either way, thats as far as I want to get with "tinkering" with it. Dont know what to do with it if I cant find a proper dial, maybe it'll end up in the sale section and might work for someone else as a spare. Anywho, hopefully I dont have to do that and Ill get lucky with a case! Thanks!

Yes it is - could have been any of the case/dial designs. It looks like the seconds pinion might be broken.

Here is mine for comparison.

ALso, I have a copy of the service manual here, which you might find useful.

Probably the hardest thing to find will be the star in the middle - if you go for one of those versions.

EJules Borel and Bestfit both list the FG caliber as "DialORama", but they also list the EU caliber thusly. Not sure, but I suspect the EU caliber was a jump-minute; there's a lot more parts shown in Bestfit for it. Both models seem to be based on the FHF 72 (bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 72).

Edit: Just read the manual that Trim posted, and they're both jump hour only; the EU is just a more complicated version.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Jules Borel and Bestfit both list the FG caliber as "DialORama", but they also list the EU caliber thusly. Not sure, but I suspect the EU caliber was a jump-minute; there's a lot more parts shown in Bestfit for it. Both models seem to be based on the FHF 72 (bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 72).
    Did you see the service manual I linked? EU is just the earlier version with a different jump mechanism. All are 'Dial-o-ramas.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Yes it is - could have been any of the case/dial designs. It looks like the seconds pinion might be broken.

Here is mine for comparison.

ALso, I have a copy of the service manual here, which you might find useful.

Probably the hardest thing to find will be the star in the middle - if you go for one of those versions.
    Nice, very nice. I thank you for the manual link. I wish I had found the little star, but fortunately there are other options that dont require it. It might be a needle in a haystack to find a case, but I think Ill hang on to it and see if one pops up somewhere. When the watch works, it runs fine, then stop. I might suspect the seconds pinion as well, but Im that bold as to take it apart yet, still a novice. Anywho, thanks again for clarifying the identity of my movement.
    -Nelson

Thread Information