Benrus Electric: How to open?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Mirius
  • 1 Post By Shum
  • 1 Post By Shum
  • 4 Post By Benjamin Barrera

Thread: Benrus Electric: How to open?

Benrus Electric: How to open?

I'm disassembling my Benrus Electronic watch so I can clean it and polish the crystal. The instructions I found elsewhere indicate that the crown can be pulled out (split-stem) and then the crystal is pressed down while supporting the case to dislodge the movement. So I removed the crown, no problem, but pressing hard on the crystal is getting me nowhere!

The back has a battery hatch and what appears to be a regulating mechanism is visible. The movement is marked SWISS, so I believe this is the ESA 9154 Dynotron movement. Any advice on how to disassemble this watch? Thank you all for your help.

Name:  IMG_20190506_213733.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  182.6 KBName:  IMG_20190506_213810.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  224.5 KBName:  IMG_20190506_214005.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  217.4 KBName:  IMG_20190506_213934.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  117.3 KB

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Benrus Electric: How to open?

Hi and welcome.

Movements that push through as you describe have a slot under the stem for it to slide through.

On the bottom of your case it states “open through crystal”. So you need to remove the crystal and take the movement out of the front of the case. I’m not familiar with the exact procedure for that case so I will leave to others to suggest. But it isn’t really something I’d recommend to people new to this.

There are 2 options.The first one is the oldest and you need to buy a crystal lifter that clamps on all around the side of the crystal and squeezes it and then you just pull it out. The second method is usually better but not always works if the crystal is very dry or glued on and is to use a small hand pump and push air through the stem pipe so the crystal just pops out.

The older version of these watches didn't have the battery hatch so you had to do this every time you changed the battery.

Lifter. Do not buy a cheap one as they will damage the crystal to much. Search around after the lowest price or an old one.
    https://www.jewelerstoystore.com/Cry...t-p/b10-33.htm

Pump. There are plenty of vintage versions of this pump to be found so look around.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...662709711.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your response. I was going off the information from another forum, however, it was an old thread and the pictures were gone (I would post the link but I'm not allowed to do that yet). This Benrus watch does have a two-piece case so I had thought pushing on the crystal would work. My Wyler is top-loading with a split stem, but the case is clearly one-piece so obviously the only option is to remove the crystal to gain access to the movement.

It seems some of the Benrus electronic watches require a crystal lift, some are disassembled by pushing the crystal through, and still others have a conventional back that is removed with a blade. Mine definitely does not want to be pushed through so attempting to remove the crystal is the next step. I'll give the air pump method a try and see how it goes. Thanks again for your help and for steering me in the right direction.

On some electric watches that have a two piece case have the two parts glued together so one should always be carful with them and read what it says on the back.

Yes, unfortunately, Benrus stamped "open thru crystal' on the watches that require a crystal lift as well as the watches that push through. Oh well.

The good news is that I got the crystal off using the air pump method that I improvised by using an old bicycle tube stem.

Name:  IMG_20190507_144519.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  134.1 KB

Unexpectedly, there was tiny hole on the tube side that fit over the case tube. I left the rubber on to seal the air against the side of the watch. Two slides of the tire pump and it popped off! Thanks again for all your help.
    bsshog40, busmatt, Shum and 1 others like this.

Thread Information