Views: 255
Size:  295.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_6634.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  249.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_6635.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  194.0 KB

I found this great little watch listing (full of history!) that Iím going to take a look at tomorrow in person prior to purchase.

A few things that came up:
    - The listing has been around for a year, possibly because nobody might be aware about the watch in the area
    - Before the seller posted the movement pic, there was what looked like merely a screenshot of the same movement (as though from a website) and as soon as I told the seller that it looked like a screenshot, he immediately said ďI went to my watchmaker to have it openedĒ and replaced it with the picture that I uploaded here on this thread. Very sketchy. Also the quality of his pics of the watch differ from the movement pic
    - Seller initially asked for $200, and said he would sell for $150 and I said that it would depend on the condition in person

What are all of your thoughts on this Benrus MIL-W-3818B? It looks genuine to me, and the movement (DR2F2 is correct) but the seller is just being sketchy about the movement pictures so I donít actually know if the picture of the movement is really from the watch. The lume on the hands also seem to have disappeared.

This is one of mine and my husbandís first forays into vintage watches, so would love to hear out some advice from you seasoned folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on instagram @1mrsla

Re: Benrus Military Watch Help

Well depending on where the listing is, are you protected with your payment? If so, you could always download all the pics you have , purchase, and then deal with it when it comes in. Otherwise, if you already have red flags that worry you, walk away.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    Well depending on where the listing is, are you protected with your payment? If so, you could always download all the pics you have , purchase, and then deal with it when it comes in. Otherwise, if you already have red flags that worry you, walk away.
    No purchase protection. I would like to look at the movement prior to purchase, but I donít necessarily have the tools to do so. Maybe I can work something out with the seller.

bsshog40 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the lume on the dial is ok. Some of these only have lume on the 12. However, I think the lume is mostly missing from the hour hand; how do you feel about that. Also, there is either a lot of junk on the crystal, or the dial is in bad condition, it's really hard to tell. These are collectible but not rare, so if it isn't in good condition, there's not really a reason to buy it. On the other hand, if it's decent looking, you could offer him $50 and he'll probably take it if it's been listed for a year. Or you'll settle at $75. But don't pay so much that you feel like it's a risk.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I think the lume on the dial is ok. Some of these only have lume on the 12. However, I think the lume is mostly missing from the hour hand; how do you feel about that. Also, there is either a lot of junk on the crystal, or the dial is in bad condition, it's really hard to tell. These are collectible but not rare, so if it isn't in good condition, there's not really a reason to buy it. On the other hand, if it's decent looking, you could offer him $50 and he'll probably take it if it's been listed for a year. Or you'll settle at $75. But don't pay so much that you feel like it's a risk.
    Iíll have to inspect in person to see if the lume on hands is bad, but for the most part if the loss of lume is even on both hands then it isnít as bothersome. I think the crystal may just be dirty, he has other photos (in other listings for the same watch) that show those bits of cloth in other places. I hope he doesnít punch me in the face if I say $50, but that would be a great price to get this at! Haha.

I think there is lume in the minute hand, but the lume is mostly missing in the hour hand except for a little bit near the center of the dial. If you blow up the image, you can see a little better.

By the way, I believe this is a one-piece case (i.e. you can't remove the back), so you will not likely be able to see the movement. When you consider the condition and the fact that you would be buying without seeing the movement, and the fact that you have no security or return policy, $50 starts to sound like a fair price. At least you will be able to check that it winds, sets, hacks, and runs.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I think there is lume in the minute hand, but the lume is mostly missing in the hour hand except for a little bit near the center of the dial. If you blow up the image, you can see a little better.

By the way, I believe this is a one-piece case (i.e. you can't remove the back), so you will not likely be able to see the movement. When you consider the condition and the fact that you would be buying without seeing the movement, and the fact that you have no security or return policy, $50 starts to sound like a fair price. At least you will be able to check that it winds, sets, hacks, and runs.
    Oh yes, you are correct on the hands. Very good eye, sir.

Yeah, I am aware that I would not be able to open this without the proper tools. Iíll bring up those points for sure during bargaining. Iíll keep you guys updated!

So you mention looking at the watch. Is it local for you? If the seller provided the movement picture above, it's sitting in a crystal lift so it would seem he could show you the movement.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    So you mention looking at the watch. Is it local for you? If the seller provided the movement picture above, it's sitting in a crystal lift so it would seem he could show you the movement.
    Yes, local! He said he went to a watchmaker to open the watch. He has other postings of other watches that also show the movements, and seems to have a bunch of vintage watches for sale including Omega, JLC and Raketa. I have a feeling he may know how to open the watch, but weíll see. Iíd like to use it as a bargaining chip if anything. Will meet up with him in an hour!

I just got my first vintage watch!

Here it is at 34mm looking tiny on my husbandís wrist

Name:  IMG_6640.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  273.7 KB

...but a very good size for me!

Name:  IMG_6643.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  313.9 KB

Overall happy with the purchase. Seller seems genuine. I expressed to him my concerns about the movement and such, and he said he had his watch guy service it a year ago. It was a constant bargaining and I was comfortable paying $100 for it.

Everything looks good. Tested the hack, working well. So far the watch has been running correctly - weíll see tomorrow. The lume has fallen off the hour hand, and you can see specks of the lume on the dial, most notably between hours 17-20. The crown has also been pried off with pliers, as it made a small indentation.

Name:  IMG_6645.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  408.3 KB

Iím very much enchanted to own a piece of history! I just need a good NATO strap!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information