Benrus Watch Fans....Help Me Out

Thread: Benrus Watch Fans....Help Me Out

Benrus Watch Fans....Help Me Out

Hi all,

I just came across an old Benrus watch at my grandfather's house this weekend. I did a little HW on the company to learn about the brand, but it gave me no leads on the different models.

I do not have a picture right now it is stainless with fading gold finish, a gold face with basic black arabic numerals. Hour, minute and second hand in black. BENRUS below 12 and 17 jewels above 6. It is manual wind, still works well once wound. The plastic crystal is cracked across the whole face but not so that it endangers the movement at this point.

case back is solid stainless. only has ID # of 1318 on back.

My question is regarding these watches, what is their value, who and how could one refurbish it and is it worth or able to have crystal replaced.

I am mostly concerned with the sentimental value of the piece and would like to wear it as a rememberance of my grandfather.

Sorry for the length, thanks for the help.

Tim

Re: Benrus Watch Fans....Help Me Out

Benrus had some very desirable models and some very pedestrian models. We need pictures to do an identification. If the watch works it should only need a service. To do a service a watchmaker tears the watch down to the point that the additional cost of a crystal or mainspring add very little to the cost. Service costs, because they are labor intensive ,vary enormously with location you need to check the going rate locally. Often the service cost is more than watch is worth but the sentimental value justifies it anyway. One tip I can give is select a watchmaker interested in vintage watches. You'll find that some watchmakers don't like working on vintage watches and price accordingly. If they like vintage there much more reasonable.

The lack of markings on the back suggest it's 50's or earlier, but that may depend on the size and shape. 17 jewels would suggest a mid-grade watch. Without pictures, this is all guess. But you might want to compare against the ones here:
    http://www.ceasuripentruromania.ro/i...nguage=english

Value wise, the basic Benrus watches don't tend to be worth much; the company sold itself to Victor Kiam in the late 60's, who sold off most of the manufacturing assets and used the name to sell products. That's made the older watches somewhat less appealing to collectors.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a Benrus ladies wrist watch I received from my grandmother. It appears very old, and works when wound. Its says Benrus under 12, swiss under6 and only a 6 digit number on back. I have found similar but no exact match. I would like to know its approximate value. Can anyone give e an idea?

Not sure how to attach a picture, I do have a few. Help?!

Hi and welcome.

Sorry - but we don't give valuations in here. There are stickies explaining why. But in general, small ladies' watches are not much sought after and do not fetch very much at all. Have a look on ebay to see:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/ho...ch-436469.html

To insert pictures directly: How to insert pictures resize the image to 800x800 pixels and it should upload.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hi and welcome
    Benrus made a few GREAT classic timepieces like the Skychief' - if its one of them, you have a winner.
    Here are a couple of articles I wrote on Benrus. Unfortunately we have little or no serial number records

Vintage Watch Forums • View topic - NAWCC - Benny and the Jets

Vintage Watch Forums • View topic - NAWCC - Benny and the Power

Regards
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

IMHO Benrus made some very interesting watches from a stylistic point of view. Dont know much about their movements. They look pretty though. In my older collection of tanqs there is one particular watch, Pink gold filled, tonneau cased and copper dialed (No pics - in the vault) that is fantastic. Among my more recent watches I have a watch to post. Its 23J with a lovely steel case and two tone copper dial. Its a little hard to read as the hands are gold tone. As a result I dont wear it too much. Some of the more fussy might have problems with the tiny flaws in the dial, but it is truely fine and a fine time keeper. I will add photos in a few minutes. One other collector I know, finds their cases neat as well. (You know who you are.) Well I hope this post has a little value to the OP, Im not sure myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by parrotandpitbull; April 29th, 2013 at 02:58.

Well I believe my post and link concurs that Benrus made some fantastic pieces, and is one of the most underestimated timepieces.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information