Benson pocket watch

Thread: Benson pocket watch

Benson pocket watch

Hi,

I normally post on the Russian forum, but I've recently acquired a J. W. Benson pocket watch, and I'm wondering if anyone here can help me with a few questions. Photos are below.

1/ Roughly when was the watch made? I'm guessing first half of twentieth century, but it would useful to be able to pin it down a bit more.

2/The case isn't silver - possibly nickel-plated brass? Did J. W. Benson sell watches in cases that weren't gold, silver or gold-plated? Could the case be from some other watch? It has writing that says: remontor ancre garanti (French?) and some small images. Did Benson use foreign cases?

I would be interested in anything else you can tell me about this watch. Thanks for your help.

PS Having problems uploading photos - will upload soon.

Re: Benson pocket watch

And here are photos. The hands are blue - are they likely to be original? PS I have done some basic research on J. W. Benson, so I know that he imported swiss movements and put his name on them (which this watch is an example of). He only actually made a few models of watches in his steam driven watch works in Ludgate Hill before it has destroyed in WWI.

I've now spotted the words "nickel chrome" and "swiss made" on the inside of the back lid of the case.

Did Benson import whole watches from Switzerland and then mark them with his company name?

It looks like a lovely watch

Name:  Benson1.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  546.7 KBName:  Benson2.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  667.5 KBName:  Benson3.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  571.4 KBName:  Benson4.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  607.5 KBName:  Benson6.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  517.1 KB
    Last edited by Ptarmigan; April 24th, 2012 at 17:32.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

When the pocket watch started going out of fashion, so the styles tended to lock into place, which makes dating difficult. If you were buying a 'retro style' watch (ie not the currently fashionable wristwatch) then you want retro styling - or at least that is how it appears to me.

Reference to Chrome would date this to post 1925ish, and it could date anywhere into the 1930's I imagine.

Yes it certainly appears to be a complete Swiss watch with just a name added to the dial. The Swiss sold a lot of watches this way. Can't really make out the movement too well as the pictures are quite dark, but it appears to be a fairly generic Swiss layout.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your input. Very helpful.

Is this picture of the movement any easier to make out? Name:  Benson7.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  587.7 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The dial is definitely a late twenties/early thirties style dial. I can't place the movement offhand but we have had it before here on the forum.....

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information