Best Movements ever Made or Historically Significant Horological Pieces?
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Best Movements ever Made or Historically Significant Horological Pieces?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Best Movements ever Made or Historically Significant Horological Pieces?

I've been meaning to ask this question for awhile. Inspired by a recent post regarding 2011 grail and wanting to realign my own watch collection. I want to know what are some pieces that everyone think are some of the

1. Best movements ever produced (ie Hamilton 982, IWC 89 ... etc)

2. Historically significant pieces. (ie First tuning fork, first automatic ... etc)

I believe our responses will be a bit all over the place depending on what each of us values. But I believe these discussion will be very constructive. Please share your insights.

Update: I managed to consolidate the list for those who just joined our conversation. Listed in alphabetical order and please let me know if I missed anything.

Bulova Accutron 214 Tuning Fork
    Buren micro-rotor
    DW co-axial escapement 2500 or 8500
    ETA 2892
    Eterna 1466U - ETA 2890 - 2892
    Eterna ball bearing
    Felsa Bidynator
    Hamilton 770
    Hamilton 982 Medallion
    Harwood bumper
    Heuer/Hamilton/Breitling etc. Caliber 11/12
    IWC 85x Pellaton
    IWC 89
    IWC cal 83
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Calibers 497/817
    JLC 881
    JLC Memovox Cal. 916
    Lemania 1340/OM 1040 auto chronograph
    Lemania 321 ("moonwatch" )
    Lemania 5100
    Longines 29x
    Longines 30L
    Lucien Piccard AS 1673
    Omega 30t2
    Omega Cal 561/4
    Patek calibre 23-300
    Rolex 2235
    Rolex Perpetual
    Seiko 6139
    Timex #22
    Valjoux 7750
    Venus 178
    Vulcain "Cricket" Calibre 120
    Zenith 135
    Zenith 3019 PHC El Primero
    Last edited by aratron; January 27th, 2011 at 00:37.
    Bidle likes this.
    Rolex Explorer II, Rolex Sub 16610, Rolex Speedking, Omega Planet Ocean, Omega 1930s Deco, Breitling Avenger, Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic, PAM 111, Movado WWII Bumper, Gruen 1930s Tonneau, Poljot Mechanical Alarm Caliber 2612, & Chrono 3133, Tudor Prince Oysterdate, Debaufre GMT Ocean 2893-2, Movado Kingmatic, Sea-gull 1963 Re-issue, Marathon GSAR, Tissot T-Touch, Steinhart SAWLE, Sea-gull ST8000SK Skeleton, Seiko 7002, Parnis Portuguese ST25, Orient Worldtimer, Orient Retro Camera, Orient Mako, Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Airking, Vostok Amphibia, Tudor Submariner, Sea-gull M199S, Seagull ST5 Export, Bulova Accutron Spaceview 214, Omega Constellation Pie Pan, Beijing Galaxy GMT

Banned

Re: Best Movements ever Made or Historically Significant Horological Pieces?

Here's my opinion on horologically significant wristwatch movements, which you'll see sparked a small debate:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/5-mo...cs-428194.html

These are just off the top of my head.

Some of the best movements, manual wind:

• Longines 30L
    • Hamilton 770
    • JLC _____ (fill in the blank with nearly any of them used by AP, PP, and VC)
    • Zenith 135
    • Omega 30t2

Some of the best movements, automatic:

• Longines 29x
    • Omega 564
    • JLC 881
    • IWC 85x (with the Pellaton winding system)
    • ETA 2892 (for quality vs. price)

Thanks for sharing. Its very interesting.

Care to elaborate how you came about some of your favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Here's my opinion on horologically significant wristwatch movements, which you'll see sparked a small debate:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/5-mo...cs-428194.html

These are just off the top of my head.

Some of the best movements, manual wind:

• Longines 30L
    • Hamilton 770
    • JLC _____ (fill in the blank with nearly any of them used by AP, PP, and VC)
    • Zenith 135
    • Omega 30t2

Some of the best movements, automatic:

• Longines 29x
    • Omega 564
    • JLC 881
    • IWC 85x (with the Pellaton winding system)
    • ETA 2892 (for quality vs. price)
    Rolex Explorer II, Rolex Sub 16610, Rolex Speedking, Omega Planet Ocean, Omega 1930s Deco, Breitling Avenger, Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic, PAM 111, Movado WWII Bumper, Gruen 1930s Tonneau, Poljot Mechanical Alarm Caliber 2612, & Chrono 3133, Tudor Prince Oysterdate, Debaufre GMT Ocean 2893-2, Movado Kingmatic, Sea-gull 1963 Re-issue, Marathon GSAR, Tissot T-Touch, Steinhart SAWLE, Sea-gull ST8000SK Skeleton, Seiko 7002, Parnis Portuguese ST25, Orient Worldtimer, Orient Retro Camera, Orient Mako, Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Airking, Vostok Amphibia, Tudor Submariner, Sea-gull M199S, Seagull ST5 Export, Bulova Accutron Spaceview 214, Omega Constellation Pie Pan, Beijing Galaxy GMT

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Lemania 1340/OM 1040 auto chronograph

And eventually the DW co-axial escapement in either the 2500 or 8500

{not the 2 most important -just 2 of the most important..

Also-Eterna's incablock and their ball bearing rotor.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

I would go for:

Cal 561/4 Omega movement - one of the most robust, accurate and reliable production series movements of all time;
    Patek calibre 23-300 - representing the zenith, IMO, of the hand-wound movement;
    Felsa Bidynator - the first post-Rolex bi-directional automatic produced in 1942, and an elegant and utilitarian wonder;
    Zenith 3019 - one hell of a movement, used by Rolex amongst others, and a mighty fastbeat chronograph;
    And a dead heat between the Eterna 1466U which morphed into the ETA 2890 that morphed into the 2892 (a robust and ubiquitous movement that was the choice of many a Establisseur and still is) and the Valjoux 7750, a tracteur of the highest order that is still used as Omega calibre 1164 - introduce me to a watchmaker who doesnt love this movement and I'll show you a fool!

I think the somehwhat neglected IWC cal 83 deserves a mention, as, of course, do some of the others already nominated.

Cheers

Desmond

The AS 1673 in my Lucien Piccard.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aratron View Post
    Care to elaborate how you came about some of your favorites?
    With the exception of the JLC 881 and Zenith 135, I've owned them and can report first hand how accurate and stable they can be when properly maintained and regulated by a competent watchmaker. Granted, you can't judge a whole series by one example, but many other forum members who've also owned them report exceptional stability. The only reason I didn't mention the IWC caliber 89 is because you already had done so in your first post. Of course I'm utterly biased towards the brands I collect. It's the reason I collect them in the first place. A recent jump into IWC is turning out to be a great decision - my caliber 89 has a stable rate of +2 to +3.5 seconds a day and my caliber 854x loses only about a second or so a day. Not bad for 50 year old watches. As much as I respect Omega, JLC, and IWC automatics I still believe the Longines 291 is the best self-winding movement of the era spanning post WWII to the quartz revolution. The winding system is as efficient and more durable than anything offered in that time span, and the balance wheel is quite large compared to the diameter of the movement (which helps it keep a more stabile rate). The whole JLC 88x family which have been used by PP, VC, and AP was based on the 881. The ETA 2892 is probably the best quality for the dollar out there today. I had one in a Tiffany's watch that was quartz accurate. Seriously - it lost about a half second per week when I used positional overnight regulation.
    Sparcster likes this.

Lemania 5100... A 5 gee chronograph with a central minute chronograph hand. Amazing piece of work for it's time and still unmatched.
    stratct likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Historically significant pieces:

- the first < $10 quartz movement. It darn near brought hundreds of years of horology industry to an end

- Timex #22. It sold more watches than the entire Swiss watch industry (and it can really "take a licking")
    JP71624 and stratct like this.
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Call me biased, but I'd pick the one that satisfies both criteria, at least to a very high degree. Zenith Cal. 3019 PHC (aka Cal. 400) "El Primero". The world's very first automatic chronograph, super accurate, rugged as hell, since its introduction extended to include practically all major complications - what more could you ask for?! Show me the movement that can match that.

If you're just looking for horological significance, I'd also choose the original Vulcain "Cricket" Calibre 120, the JLC Memovox Cal. 916 and the Lemania 321 ("moonwatch" calibre). For reliability, also the ETA 2892, the Rolex 2235 and probably the Valjoux 7750. Yes, I know, no great surprises there.....

@mondodec: "introduce me to a watchmaker who doesnt love this movement and I'll show you a fool!" Actually, most watchmakers (should) hate the Valjoux 7750. It was designed for cheap, rationalised production, reliability and ruggedness. Since there is no such thing as a free lunch, the drawback of the matter is that it is a comparative pain to assemble. In particular, there is one hidden wire spring which has to be assembled by sort of fixing a plate and then loosening it just enough to fiddle this thing in place! Still, I agree that it deserves a place in horological history as the movement that made chronographs accessible to the masses.

Hartmut Richter
    Bidle likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information