Best next steps?

Thread: Best next steps?

Best next steps?

So I bought this watch online relying on some pretty fuzzy photos but also not paying as much attention as I should have to the photos. It was not expensive and I have purchased it as a "project" watch. It will be a first project watch for me. I am confident about being able to restore the case and the mechanism (cal. 283) seems to be running more or less ok so should not require much attention.

The problem is the dial. In addition to the rather sad 11 o'clock hour marker, it seems that someone has badly scratched the dial, perhaps in a misguided approach to cleaning it.

Questions: is it worth spending the money on a new dial (of appropriate vintage)?

If yes, who are the major suppliers of NOS dials for watches of this age (serial no. suggests that it was made in 1952 or 1953)?

Can a novice amateur such as myself ever hope to restore the original dial (which would involve replacing the unfortunate marker at 11 o'clock and somehow dealing with the scratched surface)?

Grateful for advice of any kind.

Name:  Omega283.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  5.9 KB

Re: Best next steps?

Quote Originally Posted by ChchS4 View Post

Can a novice amateur such as myself ever hope to restore the original dial (which would involve replacing the unfortunate marker at 11 o'clock and somehow dealing with the scratched surface)?

Grateful for advice of any kind.
    Unfortunately the answer is no.

Even master watchmakers with years of experience, leave dials well alone apart from blowing off dust, attempts
    at 'cleaning' generaly leave a dial in a worse state, enamel dials are a different kettle of fish and can be easily cleaned
    Sometimes it is possible to gently lift off dirt with a watchmakers putty such as Rodico but it is also possible to lift off
    paint so unless you know what you are doing it can't be recommended.
    A scratched surface can only be repaired by a professional dial refinisher.

I know of no dealer who readily supplies NOS dials for vintage Omegas.

If you want a clean looking dial, I suspect your best alternative for a project watch is refinishing. I would suggest International Dial. It will be a redial, but project watches are learning experiences anyway
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Many thanks for your advice all around - refurbishing a dial is clearly not for beginners! I have now found a NOS dial (not precisely stock as it is for a different cal) in Australia and have acquired a quote for a redial in the US (thanks for the pointer to International Dial - very responsive company). Touch decision given that in both instances the dial will no longer be authentic. I don't intend to sell the watch so the choice will need to be driven by my preferences which looks better.

I'll post a pic in a couple of months when the project is done. Thanks again to both of you for your kind and very helpful advice.
    ChchS4

Selected watches in current collection:
    Rolex Explorer II Polar
    Omega Speedmaster Pro (3573.50)
    Omega Seamaster Ref. 2576, Cal. 344
    Omega Ref. 2640, Cal. 283
    Tissot Seastar Visodate Automatic Cal. 784
    TAG-Heuer Series 6000 Chronometer (auto)
    Seiko World Timer (quartz)
    Suunto M9 (quartz with GPS)
    Casio G-Shock A591
    Citizen Promaster Aqualand

Thread Information